[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Gundam Torso Mod
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Gundam Torso Mod

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Gundam Torso Mod

Postby paulson games » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:29 am

Took the torso from a gundam and figured it's make a great torso base for a character model.

Disclaimer:
Images of the crisis suit model belong to Games Workshop used without permission and all that happy horse shit.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Gundam Torso Mod

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:21 am

It's a surprisingly good fit. A bit of detailing up and it could look quite good. Are the Gundam parts styrene? Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

I liked the disclaimer too ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:31 pm

looks like the greater good...... :ugeek:

LMAO!! It is a surprisingly well fit and I would say its very nice. is this a one off or something to poss be available to others as well?

dont worry, I'll wait

PM me about it if you want to avoid "eyes"....
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:39 pm

I did a rough connect of the hips, basically I cut the center out of the crisis suit hips so when attached back together they'd be a bit narrower as the stock part looked really wide. They still look a bit chunky to me do to the ball joint but you can't get too far away from that with Tau parts ;) Gundams have very slender waist so I was aiming for recreating a bit of that look. Their legs are incredibly long and fairly wide so unfortunately none of the model parts were of much help.

I have two differant legs and trying to decide which one to run with, the modified suit is already significantly taller than the stockxv-8 due to the torso being lengthened. The second leg set which was extended with a piece of a fusion blaster with a knee cap added gives it even more height. Despite the height the balance seems ok, so I've got some thinking to do about which version is best.

I can also make some use of the FW Rymyr leg parts as they have a nice sleekness that could match with the torso, going to have experiment with what looks best. Any thoughts on the model height?

The kit is from the "gundam fighting action" line which is a perfect scale for this project and as the kits are only about $6 they are an awesome buy for converting. (Same plastic material as regular gundam kits) As they were dirtcheap I picked up a couple more kits online for extra parts. This is probably goig to be a one off kitbash but might expand it to a fulls quad not sure yet.

The chest and various cracks of course will be filled in, likely with miliput to fill the large gaps and then a top layer of green stuff as it's much smoother to work with and will hold details better.

Lots and lots of work to go.

standard legs

longer legs

side shot:

with a weapon arm stuck on
paulson games

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:08 pm

i like the height. with the arm on it looks right.

Think of it as Tau "truescale" LMAO!! :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:09 pm

I like the height too, but I've never been a fan of the XV8 pelvis section. The best solution would be to scratchbuild something...
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 pm

The taller one looks better IMO.

The shorter one looks like it has a big bum.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:51 pm

What? A robot can't have a big ass? ;)

I'm thinking that all the responses are pointing out for the tall build, true scale Tau mwhahaha Warhound would be proud.
paulson games

Postby paulson games » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Made a bit of progress, filled in the torso gaps and started cleaning up the hips & ball joint. Also added a piece that will make up part of the engine/jumpjet thrusters.

paulson games

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Like I said by IM she's coming along nicely. The GS work looks very smooth! I'd like to see a smaller head and bigger thrusters, but other than that the proportions are looking pretty good.
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:32 am

Agree.... Beefy-er thrusters would be nice. It looks like not enough to me.

the head is cool by me. I look forward to this being painted!!
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding