[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - my sculpt (warning non guy stuff inside)
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

my sculpt (warning non guy stuff inside)

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

my sculpt (warning non guy stuff inside)

Postby glimmer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:33 pm

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this and whether it is OT, but I figure its a bit like a bust, so... anyway, mods, please delete if it is OT.
I am trying to cast these parts in resin with silicon moulds. It is very time consuming and lots of trial and many errors... and I need lots of advice and help!

Here is the origional concept drawing
super sculpy start
baked and partly strung
all parts primed and standing on her own
First cast part

All parts are hollow to allow for stringing
glimmer
Casual

Re: my sculpt (warning non guy stuff inside)

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:41 pm

Wow that looks great Glimmer! Your sculpting is pretty good! Don't worry it's definitely not off topic - you're sculpting stuff and you want to cast it ;)

Casting hollow parts is a pain - do you cut them all in half first?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby glimmer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:53 pm

[img][img][/img][/img]Hi thanks I am glad I am not OT. Here are my most recent semi successful attempts to mould and cast the legs. Apart from the terrible bubbling (which after reading here I think I can reduce), they were ok.
I use a single part mould and a straw to make the legs hollow
Image the lower leg and the pvc pipe I use for mould plus plasticine
ImageI make one cut in pvc pipe
Image and put a straw through so it will be hollow
Image sprue of plasticine and attempts at air vents (didnt work!)
Image Using pinkysil silicon - after it sets
Image cut the silicon and put in registration keys by cutting. note the straw (coated with release agent) through the top
then rubber bands and pour.
glimmer
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:53 pm

Wow it looks like you already really know what you're doing! It should be relatively easy to get a part like a limb bubble free - you just have to be smart about vent placement ;)

Have you tried pouring in one side and having a vent on the other side (both at the same end of the limb)? Also if you're getting bubbles stuck to bits of detail (like on the face) try dusting the mould with some talc - it prevents the bubbles from sticking.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby glimmer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:38 am

glimmer
Casual

Postby paulson games » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:14 am

You have some really nice work on the sculpting.

Couple questions to help get a feel for your casting.

Are you casting the resin under pressure?

How long is the working life and cure time for your resin?

Where are the bubbles occuring on your casts? Are they spaced throughout the piece or are they concentrated along the top edges of the cast?

If you are getting lots of bubbles along the top one possible issue might be that the parts need to be angled slightly in the mold so that the air all rises towards a vent (which should ideally be placed at the highest point), if the piece is posistioned relatively even then it generally will create flat spots that can trap air even if you have a number of vents in place.

If that's the case try tilting the mold slightly as you are pouring, holding it so one of the vents is at the high point of the mold. That should help air flow out easier without needing to remake the entire mold.

As Zac suggested a dusting of talc helps a lot as it helps break up any bubles on the surface of the cast and it never hurts to give the mold a series of light squeezings as that can help push air out as well. give a light squeeze let up on the pressure squeeze again, repeat a couple times and you should see some of the air bubbles work their way up as the resin gets sucked down into the air channel. Then top it off with a bit more resin.

The doll is a tough project to tackle as a first project, I've yet to do any single piece casts that are also hollow so everything I can suggest is mostly theory. It's certainly doable as I've seen lots of hollow doll parts at the craft stores.
paulson games

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:35 am

This is just gorgeous..... Thanks for sharing.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby glimmer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 pm

glimmer
Casual

Postby paulson games » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Don't put too much pressure on the mold when you squeeze it, just enough that the mold flexes slightly. Any more than that you will potentially end up with spills or the mold can slip and the cast will have uneven edges.

Some people bang or tap their molds against the table, personally I think this causes a lot of splashing and mess.

When you dust with the talc you just want a fine coat, so brush some on and tap the mold against the table so all of the excess talc falls out and leaves you with only a light dusting. If you leave too much in it'll create small pockets in the resin which will be filled with talc.

Hopefully you'll get some improved results, let us know how it goes and we'll help figure out what is or isn't working.
paulson games

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding