[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Resin purity seals
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Resin purity seals

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Resin purity seals

Postby Lathanm » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:33 am

This is a project I am working on for some of my forum friends that are going to Adepticon this year. They are 60mm purity seals. They idea is to have ribbons on them that allow them to write victory scores on or as a mini autograph book. The skulls are from some old Spawn models and the fist is a spare Gundam piece. I still have a few more designs I am working on. Here is the quick look.
The base designs -

For the final castings I am tinting the resin red as opposed painting them. Lets just say the first attempts at spray painting them did not do well with the Chicago winter.

The resin castings -

I am still working on a few more designs. The hard part is I am not the best with green stuff so it is going slow. My goal is to have 6 designs when all is said and done. I need to cast about 100 of them so I need to pick up some more rubber this weekend to make a larger multi-mold for them to speed things up.
Lathanm
Casual

Re: Resin purity seals

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:57 am

I saw your You tube Vid on these and I think i linked it to someone on these forums.... Glad to see you here and Welcome.

Im a fan and I like your channel. I have been looking at this idea myself and am casting some up for our Birthday bash..... Still not sure on how to attach the scroll parchment (linen) though....

Im thinking using magnets as In magnetic badges for the actual Seal:

and maybe a trench and epoxy clue for the linen....
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 am

Top stuff, and welcome Lathanm!

What are you using for the base of the purity seal? Magic Sculpt?

Have you done much casting before?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Lathanm » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:46 am

I am leaning towards magnets the only issue is the cost of the actual badge ones. If I can make it work with standard RE magnets then I am going to go that route. Just need to come up with a metal backer form them to stick to.

I have been doing quite a bit of casting over the last 2 years. I am slowly working my way up my skills before I completely dive in and get a vacuum/pressure casting setup. So far I have been working with Smoothcast oomoo for my molds. It is very forgiving and I want to stick with 1:1 mixes for now. I have a few 2 piece molds that I have done as well. I am still trying to get the hang of venting them correctly though. I am researching switching to a resin with a little longer pot life to compensate though. I am hitting Reynolds Plastics this weekend so I will see what they suggest.
Lathanm
Casual

Postby Barn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:32 am

Welcome!

That was me Monkey Joe linked for, ive been looking at doing some purity seals myself in the not to distant future :)
Barn
User

Postby Lathanm » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:12 am

The seals base is sulfur free clay. The first ones I did were actual candle wax that I melted and let drop on a piece of plastic. Then while it was still hot I pressed a soda bottle cap in to make an indentation. The other parts are then glued to it. The problem with that is they look real but are really thin. This time I needed a little more bulk for a couple of reasons. First durability and second ease of pouring. The thing ones used practically no resin, 3-4 grams each, which was very wasteful to mix. For these I get 3 out of a 50g mix. Easier to mix, tint and pour with no real waste.

The only downside is they are destroyed in the mold making process. For something like this it isn't a big deal since the hard parts, skulls, green stuff bits and the like can be reused.

I am planning on using cloth instead of parchment since it is more durable. I have some muslin soaking in coffee that I am going to dry and tear into the correct shapes. I am going to singe the edges to give it a battle worn look. Once the backs are given a light sanding to roughen the surface I am going to use CA glue for the attachment.
Lathanm
Casual

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:30 am

Welcome on board :) The seals look quite nice.

The guys over at Reynolds (la grange) are all really nice and have some good advice. Their building is kinda hard to locate as they are on the side in between two building and only have a tiny sign, I passed it by twice before I pulled into the lot to check the addresses.

I'm in downers grove so if you need any help with stuff let me know.

They should have magnetic name tags at office depot, I'd try picking some of those up and seeing if you can embed either the magnets or the metal part in the resin hat way you don't need to do any dremmel work.

I had bad luck with the castin' craft brand of dye, allumilite makes some really killer and potent dye so if you're looking for another brand to try they get a huge thumbs up from me.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Lathanm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 am

I get my supplies from Reynolds whenever I can. The only down side is they are closed on weekends. So to get to them I either need to take the day off or drive to work and city parking is a PITA.

I will try the Allumalite dye for the next set. I also picked up some copper powders that I am going to try on a few projects. They have to go over a black resin or they look bad and last time I was at Reynolds they were out of the premixed black.

For the magnets I am not flush mounting them, just surface. With 100 to do I want to go as fast as possible. I may start floating some metal plates in the back of a few to see how things go. The only issue is my metal workshop is off limits due to snow.
Lathanm
Casual

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding