[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Xeones tries to fix the Stormraven
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Xeones tries to fix the Stormraven

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Xeones tries to fix the Stormraven

Postby Xeones » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:54 am

Xeones
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Xeones » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:38 pm

I'd say it's about time for another update. :mrgreen:

Here are a few shots of my progress on the detailing in the dreadnought bay area.
The first image shows what it looks like without the grapple, and the second is with the grapple dry-fitted onto the cargo rail. I'm not really happy with the design of the grapple itself, so I'm thinking that I'll end up rebuilding it. I've also got to do a bit more ribbing on the sides of the bay (covering some of the gaps that you can see where the larger pieces fit together) and, while its difficult to see in the images, I've begun to sketch out some pipes, wires, and other industrial greeble to go in between the ribs. I'm hoping to get most of this part done in a week or two so I'll post more images when that happens. . .

I hope this proves to everyone that things are still happening with this project!
-Nate
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 am

Perceivably flawless styrene work as usual! I love the ribbed design and the cargo rail. The grapple looks OK, however it doesn't really look like something that could grab a Dreadnought. The problem is that Dreadnoughts are so many various shapes and sizes it would be pretty much impossible to have a grapple capable of handling all of them!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks. Your observations about the grapple are spot on. This current design fits flush onto the angled top plates of the standard dreadnought torso. My thought was that it's powered by some sort of strong "gravitic plating" (or similar sci-fi hand waving --like an enormous electromagnet).

At the moment, I'm not really sure what alternative I should go with. A more claw-like system would be unlikely to fit the unusual angles on the dreadnought very well, but maybe I'll use something like that anyway. Since it'll never actually hold a dreadnought, all it has to do is look the part. ;)

I just don't really like the ungainly looking systems that they designed for the or the with long, spindly arms gripping the cargo from the sides. It just looks improbable from an engineering standpoint --and not in a cool way --which is usually my 40k litmus test since so many things defy the laws of rationality.

Oh well, I mull it over while I work more on the rest.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:11 pm

The Thunderhawk/Valk spindly grappling arms I don't mind for their intended purpose of transporting a vehicle.

I think designing around the standard Dread torso is the best plan, and like I said what you've got doesn't look that bad. Perhaps if you modified the design to look more obviously "electromagnet": like some bulky coils and cables around it? Of course the beauty of an electromagnetic system is that is doesn't require the impossible task of perfect alignment before the grapple can engage and the Dreadnought can be picked up!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Excellent plasticard work, well done!

Fleafa
Junkie

Previous

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding