[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Xeones tries to fix the Stormraven
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Xeones tries to fix the Stormraven

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Xeones tries to fix the Stormraven

Postby Xeones » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:51 am

Slight update:

I'm considering changing my design a little from what I'd created in my 3D concept and instead I'm thinking of using this large portion of one of the panels from the Manufactorum kit to speed along the construction of some of the back-end greeble. What do you think? I'll do a bit more than just slap it in there (like it is at the moment) so that it looks more like part of the build, but I think I like the look well enough. Think I might have to shave the bottom portion of the panel down just a hair more so that it doesn't sit quite so high, but I think I'm diggin' the industrial hardware it's bringin' to the table. I'll have to create more detail to continue on behind where the panel stops, but I think this might be a good start.

What do you all think?
Xeones
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:59 am

That piece was made to mount there! Seriously it looks perfect and is going to save you a ton of detailing work (as I so skillfully understated before :P). Like you say, shaving a small bit of height would be preferable.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:15 am

this seems like a rather effective solution.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:40 pm

I agree that it looks perfectly at home there. I really like what you've done so far with it.

I'm not keen on the chapterhouse's add on parts and the original stock model look like a playmobile toy. You've fixed a lot of the issues I had with the base model.
paulson games

Postby Xeones » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks guys. Paulson, you said I've addressed most of the issues you had with the kit. What, in your estimation, still needs adjustment?

Personally, I feel that the model is still a little on the stubby side (though it does start to look "normal" the more you stare at it! :|), but I decided I had to compromise between a believable scale for a transport, and a manageable size for the tabletop. Most of the other issues that I have, I hope to address in some form during the rest of the construction process.
Xeones

Postby Xeones » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:04 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaand... UPDATE!!
No, seriously --I am alive and have been working on this project in the months since I last posted anything. In fact, I've finished constructing the basic shapes.

So let's get to the fun stuff right away:

OK, now some explanation and commentary:

First, please excuse the image quality. I know they are a little grainy, but I was over at Vaaish's place and he helped me take some quick snapshots just for illustrative purposes. I guess I'll save the gallery-quality shots for when I complete the construction.

As you can see, I'm still trying to adhere heavily to my 3D model concept (see last page) in execution. There are a few areas that are slightly different, but in essence, the plan hasn't changed much regarding the visual direction I'm headed. Admittedly, not all of the angles transition perfectly from the front part to the new scratch-built back piece. But fortunately, all of the areas that do not transition seamlessly are covered by the engines, so you can't see them. ;)

At this point, as I said, the basic bulk of construction is complete. Now I get to do a lot of the fun aspects of detailing and fine-tuning. I still have to construct the dreadnought cargo rail and grapple as well as the ribbing and interior greeble detail on the back, underside cargo hold. I've also still got to work on the wings a little to create some weapons pylons for the missiles and such. And then there's still paneling and other stuff, so I've still got a good deal of work ahead of me.

There is one major deviation in my plans though. I actually have two Stormravens that I plan to convert in this manner. In the beginning, my intention was to replicate my work on this 'raven for the second one. However, while I was in the middle of constructing the back end, and realizing the enormous amount of work and time I had already invested in creating just ONE of these, I decided that I really need to get this cast up in order to maintain my sanity. I am what you may call a "resin virgin" and I don't really have the money at the moment to invest in the equipment I'd need to cast this piece myself, so I'm hoping to perhaps convince one of you fine gentlemen (ladies?) to help me cast a duplicate of the rear section.

Ideally, it would be nice to find someone who is here in the 'States and might be interested in giving me a bit of a discount on the casting costs in exchange for my permission to cast a few personal copies for themselves if they'd like. I've constructed almost everything so far in three main pieces so that it should be possible to cast everything fairly simply. I say "almost everything" because of the way I currently have the wings attached the fuselage. They are attached with long plasticard tabs that slot deep into the fuselage and are held in place with a combination of friction and magnets. It's a great system and works quite well, but I devised it before I determined that I'd need to cast everything and there's just no way that I can make that system work with a two-part mold in mind. So I'm going to need to re-think this part. Other than that, I don't see any major issues with duplicating things in resin.

That's all for this time. Hope you enjoyed the update. I'm hoping to perhaps have the construction completed by Christmas of this year. :)

--X
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:49 am

Hey Nate that's looking fantastic! I'll have to take your word that the transitions aren't perfect as they sure look that way from the photos! The wonderfully crisp styrene work you produce always impresses me.

I'm sure one of our RA friends will be able to help you out regarding casting. Or perhaps you should sell the design to a cheeky aftermarket parts supplier (to compete with the awful upgrade kit that Chapterhouse put out)? ;)
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks Zac. The glare of the lights off the white card hides some of the imperfections so, while pretty clean, my card work is still going to need a little putty. I'm sure more of the irregularities would show up if I sprayed on some gray primer.

I think I'd almost be tempted to sell what I've got to a "cheeky aftermarket parts supplier" but I did end up using a huge chunk of a manufactorum wall in its construction, and I don't really feel like taking that out at this point since I like its look --so that's more than flirting with the IP infringement line. I already was on the receiving end of GW leaning on Google to remove some of my TOTALLY ORIGINAL 3D SketchUp models from the Google 3D Warehouse because they were set in the 40k universe*, so I'd prefer to avoid GW's over-protective lawyers for a while. :mrgreen:

*Personally, I think they don't have a leg to stand on, but it's not really worth the fight since I still possess the original files and I merely put them online as a free resource and source of inspiration.
Xeones

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:56 am

I might be able to help you out mate.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Yeah the Manufactorum bits are why they'd have to be particularly cheeky ;)

That's crap to hear about GW meddling with your Sketchup models and I agree it's not worth the fight. Unfortunately not surprising though...
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:23 am

A big "thanks" to those of you who have contacted me about being willing to help me cast my parts. Once this project gets closer to completion, I'll start a more serious dialogue on the subject and perhaps contact one of you for your services.

And yeah, IP issues can be a bother. As a creative person, I hate to have anybody tell me what I can and can't do when I'm creating something for the pure enjoyment of the experience. I think the whole idea of 3D printing and its ramifications to the hobby has GW running scared. Places like the 3D Warehouse that allow people to exchange models absolutely free, could potentially become a hot-zone for pirated models and IP-infringing content. As usual though, GW Legal takes the heavy-handed approach which ends up hurting their own dedicated fans who simply want to contribute something personal and cool to the hobby.

:cry:

Considering the increasingly globalized and collaborative nature of business (and just human interaction in general) I'm of the opinion that the entire concept of IP, copyright, and patents needs a major overhaul, but that's a topic for another place...

Back to the topic at hand, my plan for this week is to create some wing-mounted weapons pylons that will carry the Stormraven's missile payload.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:22 am

I agree regarding your sentiments on IP/copyright/patent law - don't get me started on the scam that is a lot of Australian patent law! Fortunately I do believe they are trying to clean it up lately...
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:29 am

Yeah IP laws are a mess. They could definitely use some improvement in the States too --but then, getting our government to accomplish anything other than arguing amongst themselves and generating scandals seems to be too much to ask these days...

On a brighter note, I finished out the weapons pylons last night. I'm quite happy with how the added bulk of some ordinance under the wings helps to balance out the visual lines of the model. Pictures should be coming along tonight so stay tuned.
Xeones

Postby Xeones » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:57 am

A quick update shot:

The pylons are just tacked on atm, but that'll be their final location. This was comparatively simple work compared to what I've been working on so they didn't take too long to make. I just didn't really like the under-wing pods that the Stormraven sported. I wanted something more traditionally aeronautical in look and I also had my eye on those pods as the basis for the modifications to the top turret, so I really needed to come up with an alternative to accomplish those ends.

I used a hunter-killer missile rail from an IG Sentinel kit for added detail on each (which you can't really see in the pic because the missiles obscure it). The missiles are the larger-sized loose Whirlwind missiles which I was able to pick up on eBay. My initial plan was to use the Sentinel HK missiles rather than just the rails, but they just looked too small on such a big aircraft. This was plan B.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:08 am

Hunter-Killer is such an awesome name.... :lol:

This latest shot reveals just how well this thing is coming together and I have to say your improved design looks fantastic! If the actual kit looked like that I'd buy it just because it looked so cool (I hate the stock model)! The improved design is even starting to look.... sleek :!:
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding