[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Xeones tries to fix the Stormraven
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Xeones tries to fix the Stormraven

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Xeones tries to fix the Stormraven

Postby Xeones » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks. I had planned on adding a bit of detail to the area where the thrusters used to be, but I'll generally be keeping it simple I think --just some raised paneling and a little support structure under the canards.

As to elongating the hull behind the cockpit, I'll be adding more fuselage onto the back of the model, but it won't actually look quite like my original concept. I did move the wings backward so that it's a bit longer than it was initially. Hopefully that will help with the stubbiness.

The new turret looks OK though? I also moved the turret ring back about 3cm to help move some of the bulk further back on the model and give it a slightly faster appearance
Xeones
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Issues with mounting a turret on top of the aircraft aside, your "automated" design is way better than the stupid looking turret gunner design of the stock model.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Arkangel » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:35 am

I know it's maybe been mentioned but have you checked out the chapter-house upgrade kit for the storm-raven? Looks 'interesting' :?:
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby Xeones » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Well interesting, yes. Personally, I don't really care for the Chapterhouse kit. The cargo bay extension makes the whole thing look too bus-like for my tastes --plus, it's just not realistic, imo, to have the dreadnought within the cargo compartment.

Zac, I think you've convinced me to extend the rear fusalage a bit further than I had planned and move back the main wings in the process. It won't take much more work and it will mitigate some of the stubbiness that characterizes the original stock kit.

I haven't had much time to work on this thing recently though. I've been painting my downstairs and that's been taking a good bit of time on the weekends and evenings. I should get back to work soon though.
Xeones

Postby Arkangel » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:23 am

Hey Xeones, I'm not a massive fan of the 'Kit' CH produce either, I was just trying to be polite :mrgreen: And maybe throw something in your direction you may have overlooked or not considered. I agree with all of the above.
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby Xeones » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

I always appreciate feedback and suggestions. Even if I don't care for the execution of someone else's conversion, sometimes it sparks my own ideas.

--X
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:20 am

mangozac

Postby Xeones » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:09 am

Hi everyone,
I know its been quite a while since I posted anything in this thread, and while I'm not quite ready to give more progress shots of the model, I thought that in the mean time, I'd at least give you a taste of where this project is headed.

In this case, that means posting up a series of shots of the SketchUp model I created to help with inspiration and reference.

Not everything on this model is accurate to the proportions of the Stormraven kit --in fact very, little is-- but my main intention with its creation was to work out construction issues in a 3D form (with a handy Undo function!) so that there was less guesswork during the actual modeling process. In that regard, this reference model has been a huge help.

As you can see, I decided to go with the angled nose. Now that I have actually constructed that part of the model in plasticard, I'm glad I went that direction even though there's still a little issue with the transition between the nose and the rest of the fuselage. Eventually here, I'll post more pictures of the real thing, but I'd like to get a little more done with the scratchbuilt rear section before that happens.

--X
Last edited by Xeones on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:40 am

You know I can't help but feel it's a little sad when a person puts this much effort into conversions (and such high quality modelling work as I know you do) when I know that they won't be reproduced!

I do like the improved design (can you say Republic Gunship? :P). It definitely looks like a "mini Thunderhawk". My only comment is that based on the front silhouette I feel like the area where the wings join the engines could do with some bulking up. As is it feels like they could snap off too easily.

Really looking forward to your progress!
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:03 am

I agree about the wings, but I'm not sure what I want to do about that. I don't want to cover up all of the engine because I'd loose a lot of that nice, industrial detail that helps define the look of imperial stuff.

As to the casting it up, yeah it is a little sad, but a lot of things with this project just wouldn't work for creating a conversion kit --there's too much cutting and hacking to begin with before the new pieces could be added.

I DO have a project lined up for after I finish my Stormraven project that will require a little casting so I'll probably see if I can get you or Paulson to give me a hand with that. I'm planning on making some pre-heresy styled power claws that will fit a dreadnought --something that more resembles real hands with 4 fingers and a thumb so it'll be less cartoonish than the Venerable Dreadnought power fist. My plan is to make some cool-looking Blood Talon dreads to go with my snazzy new aircraft. :evil:
Xeones

Postby Xeones » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:43 am

It's time to dust this thread off and give a little bit of an update. As seems to be typical with my projects, things are progressing slowly, but they ARE progressing! :|

There's still plenty to do --especially with the back end, but I'm pretty happy with the way things are turning out so far. I've magnetized the wings so that they slot into the main body. Hopefully that will make storage easier. I'll have to also magnetize the tail so that it can be removed in order to take the wings off. The surface aft of the sloped vents (re-purposed from the original wing tabs) still needs to be finished out, but that's going to get a lot of hoses and other greebles so it might take some time to do it right.

Sorry for the marginal image quality. I snapped these quickly before work this morning. I'll try to do my next set with a darker backdrop.

Xeones

Postby Deadmeat30 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:03 am

loving this mate, might tempt me to get a stormraven, you gonna have any castings spare ;)

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Xeones » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 am

Thanks man! Unfortunately, I have no plans to do any casts of this. Since there's so many things from the original kit that I've cut off, re-used or otherwise altered, it's not like a simple addition like the Chapterhouse upgrade kits, so I'm not sure that casting this would really work very well.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:04 am

I really love how the tail is turning out. Far, far more appropriate and cooler looking design than the one on the original kit! You're going to have a lot of detailing in that flat area under it though ;)

Great to see an update!
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:01 am

Xeones

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding