[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Designing a better generic flying base
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Designing a better generic flying base

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Designing a better generic flying base

Postby Seb » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:38 am

glued on? I like it. Always like a little choice. No doubt an illicit trade in plates will spring up in bits markets internet wide. Or not.
Seb
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Grimnar42 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:03 pm

I think a glue on plate would have better options maybe with a small locating lug/pin/hole so placement is consistent ?? maybe not if the option is to glue them anywhere on the base. I agree it has to be larger because of possible name lengths perhaps different sized/length options.
Also might want to think about space for ship classes on the base Styx Murder Dauntless etc Dont suppose it would be viable but glue on plates with the ship class ? or 2 spots on the base one for a name one for class

Wonder what it would cost to get names and classes engraved on them
Anyway just food for thought

Cheers
Grimnar42
Casual

Postby paulson games » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I think for production it'd be easiest to have the name plates attached.

Just make several seperate bases available with the plates in a variety of locations that way people pick up what they want and it's less hassle than trying to do the plates as a seperate part.

I'd suggest:
blank base with just heading makers
base with front facing plater
base with rear facing plate
base with plate on R/L side?
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks for the feedback guys but I think this project is starting to get a bit out of control. There's too many people wanting too many options, all of which are just increasing the cost.

I was discussing it with Jon and we concluded that having the nameplates as separate pieces would be too fiddly and add too much expense. Which means that the nameplates need to be part of the base like he suggests in the above post.

This was supposed to be a quick, simple project so I don't really want to spend a heap of time making three variants of the rounded nameplate version. In fact most of the nameplates I've ever seen have been on the front of the base, so I don't know why everyone is suddenly asking for it to be on the rear (while I understand the logic, aesthetically I think on the rear looks a bit back to front).

Nameplate on the side makes sense, but honestly I don't think enough people would want it to warrant offering that variant.

I'll make up one with the curved nameplate in the front arc today and see how people feel about it.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:50 pm

I'd like pinstriping, larger fins and Frickin' Lazors!!!!

:lol:
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 am

Don't be silly - frickin lazers only get installed on sharks.... :mrgreen:
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 am

Then I'd like pinstriping, larger fins and sharks with Frickin' Lazors on their heads!
blind pig
Junkie

Previous

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding