[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - BFG Commission: Zeus Destroyer
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

BFG Commission: Zeus Destroyer

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

BFG Commission: Zeus Destroyer

Postby mangozac » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Hey guys,

I'm about 75% through a commission build and thought I'd share. It's a torpedo destroyer in the same style as the other Zeus prows and ships I have done, as a commission for a client in the UK. He's wanting quite a few of them so I'll be casting them up. The model itself is quite tiny at only 30mm long, but has a very high level of detailing.

The photo quality is really ordinary, simply because it's so hard to photograph styrene, and confounded by the fact that the camera is struggling to do macro shots this close. Note also that the prow is stuck on with blu-tack for the photos - once I finish this post I'll start work sculpting the eagle figure head.

I at first had planned to have the side fins oriented horizontally, however both the client and I agreed that vertical looked cooler ;)

Destroyer_WIP_5.JPG

Destroyer_WIP_6.JPG

Enjoy!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: BFG Commission: Zeus Destroyer

Postby BlackCatStudios » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 pm

I am impressed with your sculpting abilities.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Postby Vaaish » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 pm

that's coming out nicely! I have to say though I think that with the fins vertical the ship needs something, maybe an antenna or two horizontally off the fins to balance it out.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:18 am

That's good work mate. Are you attaching/shaping piece by piece?

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:55 am

mangozac

Postby Seb » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:57 am

I remember checking out your work on those frigates a couple years back, in person. Something this small? Ridiculous :D

Always wondered what a Cobra-like ship would look with a Gothic prow. :)

Superb stuff man.

- Seb
Seb

Postby mangozac » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Attachments
Destroyer_final_2.JPG
Destroyer_final_3.JPG
Destroyer_final_4.JPG
Destroyer_final_1.JPG
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:50 pm

That ship is gorgeous, can't say much else beyond awesome work. :)
paulson games

Postby Seb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:54 pm

./Imperial Salute.

It is indeed full of detail. Superb ship. I can see a Gothic cruiser chugging along with such a mini-me in tow :D

Cast up really well.

- Seb
Seb

Postby factor40 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:12 am

Awesome, looks really good.

factor40
Habit

Postby Vaaish » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:29 am

I think that turned out quite well. My only comment would have been to extend the lower tip of the prow slightly with a probe or other extension to balance out the overbite that's the Voss type prows fall victim to otherwise.

I'm also curious why you decided on 4 torpedo tubes since all variants of the cobra only stock two.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Arkangel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:23 am

As a non-BFG player, and no-offense Vaaish astetics aside, I LOVE THIS MINI :mrgreen:
Having seen it 24 hrs ago on the sprue, Skype rocks :lol: , to see the kit built is awesome.
I think the fact that it is a clear 'miniature frigate' it looks how a Cobra should have looked, the first time round when GW had the chance to make it right!
2 Tubes, 4 Tubes who cares....'22 degrees to starbaord, fire all tubes and let'em run true' :twisted:

Well done mate great job :mrgreen: *Big Thumbs*
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks guys the feedback is appreciated :)

Vaaish, I know what you mean about the "overbite" but honestly it doesn't really bother me - I just find it part of the aesthetic.

I went with four torpedo tubes simply because that's what I think looks cool. That and I forgot that the Cobra only has the two :P) It's not like the BFG models are that perfect a representation of their statistics for it to be a problem...
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:04 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Vaaish » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:07 pm

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie