[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - WiP, Hive Tyrant wings.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

WiP, Hive Tyrant wings.

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

WiP, Hive Tyrant wings.

Postby BlackCatStudios » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:21 pm

I am working on a set of Tyranid Hive Tyrant wings. Check out the photos and let me know what you think.

I want your opinions on which way to set the talon on the elbow of the forearm.

Reference pic: Trygon Lg scything talon.

Option 1 same orientation as the Trygon.

Option 2 reversed to match the orientation of the scything talon.
Last edited by BlackCatStudios on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Re: Design feedback wanted, Hive Tyrant wings.

Postby Vaaish » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:25 am

option two seems to fit better, but you really don't have much to reference there to know how well it will work together in the end. If you have sketches of the direction you want to go it would help.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Lane » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:32 am

Option two.

I assume the wing will continue from the elbow spike to the torso. If so then option two keeps the flow of the model in one direction.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:42 am

Yeah my vote goes to option 2 also. And I really like Lane's suggestion!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Lane » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:48 pm

The thumb claw looks a bit out of place.

The scything talon is modeled as a weapon held in a hand, thus the thumb claw looks right sticking out the opposite direction from the blade.

The blade forming the outer edge of the wing appears to be a modified hand. Where you have the thumb placed it looks tike it would be growing out of the wrist. It may look better moving it outward and curve slightly back.
Lane
Habit

Postby Arkangel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:13 pm

A mate of mine used the plastic Balrog wings from LOTR they looked mighty impressive if this helps with the final sculp. As for 'orientation' option TWO defo has my vote :mrgreen: *Thumbs*

Hasta
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby BlackCatStudios » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:06 pm

OK so everyone has posted option 2 which was my thoughts. The talon an the trygon arm was what was throwing me off. I have a conversion using Balrog wings that is ok, but I really want a set of wings that look tyranid. Like the Forge world warrior wings. Once I get these sculpted and cast I plan on doing a conversion that has biocannons like the harridan kit has.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Re: WiP, Hive Tyrant wings.

Postby BlackCatStudios » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:25 am

Update Time.

Basic skeletal structure done

Top down dry fit pic

Comparison with my Balrog wing convert.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Postby BlackCatStudios » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:36 am

Update and Questions;

First layer of Green Stuff has been applied to the top of the wing, I used heavy paper to make the base of the webbing then soaked it with super glue to add strength. The GS has been textured using wet sand-able sand paper being pressed into the GS to leave a rough even texture.

I realized that this is the largest GS project I have ever done. I have used GS often to fill gaps and reconstruct small missing details, but nothing of this scope.

On this side I still need to re-work the talon on the elbow, the inner arm webbing, and the attaching tendons to the finger bones.

As always feedback and tips are appreciated.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Looks good, but I'm not sold on the texture of the webbing - I just imagine it should be smooth. I do like the bat wing design though! The problem with doing wings is that you can't make it too thin or you'll have issues casting it.

Where are the base arm parts from? You didn't sculpt them right? They don't look like styrene so I'm guessing they're either resin or pro-create?

Also, the areas where the webbing joins the arm needs a lot of cleaning up...
mangozac

Postby BlackCatStudios » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:45 pm

The arms were from this beastie.Image

I figured out that doing green stuff right means taking time and doing it in steps instead of trying to get that one last detail on. I am not sold yet either way on the smooth or textured wing skin. The webbing is definitely on the check list.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Postby Arkangel » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm going to have to agree with Zac on the smooth webbing. Do you have access to a copy of Imperial Armour 4: Anphellion project? There are lots of winged tyranid stuff in there plus some good sketches if I remember I have a copy so i could have a look if you like? You can find a copy in lots of places on the net if you look in the 'right' places :mrgreen:
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Actually, for an interesting wing membrane effect have a look at the .
mangozac

Postby BlackCatStudios » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:44 am

I have the harridan sitting on my work table right now, That is what I had been planning on trying to achieve.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 am

Well in that case I look forward to seeing further progress!
mangozac

Next

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding