[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - More BFG?!? Strike Cruiser Conversion
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

More BFG?!? Strike Cruiser Conversion

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: More BFG?!? Strike Cruiser Conversion

Postby Vaaish » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:15 am

I do have a question about hte prow though, what's up with the joint where it angles in the last pic? It seems almost a rounded join rather than a hard edge. Did that side not go together as smoothly?
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:42 am

Heh that's just the watermark ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby virusoverload » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:17 am

Looks amazing. Cant wait to try some stuff like this myself. I was wondering how you made the barrels on the turrets ( the metal parts )
virusoverload
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:39 am

Thanks mate. The barrels are made from brass that I machined on my ;)
mangozac

Postby virusoverload » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:42 am

and theres me hoping it was something I could do :P. exactly how small are the barrels out of curiosity? cos they look minuscule and lathing that takes skill.
virusoverload
Casual

Postby Deadmeat30 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 am

they are tiny, lol. ive got 4 of zacs crusiers and they are awesome! still painting them, lol.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 am

I think the thickest part of the barrel is 1mm and they're about 0.5mm at the tip. To get decent results machining the brass like this is the only way to go! In the past I did try gluing sections of styrene rod of those diameters together, but it was difficult to get decent results that were straight.

There's not actually anything difficult about doing the machining itself, but unless you score a secondhand lathe for dirt cheap like I did it can be very expensive to get set up :(
mangozac

Postby virusoverload » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:35 am

sounds fiddly with the styrene but I just cant afford a lathe. much like I can't afford a vacuum or pressure pot/pump for my casting so i keep getting shed loads of bubbles. not sure what to do about that tbh. need to buy new supplies as Ive run out of silicone and im nearly out of resin and wondering if whats been linked to in my other thread is suitable for room pressure casting. (sorry not trying to thread hijack)
virusoverload
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:38 am

What are you trying to make and/or cast? If BFG parts I found another invaluable source of materials to be the Imperial Antenna masts plastic sprue. You can cut down many of the antenna parts to make gun barrels and the like...
mangozac

Postby chinchilla » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:50 am

Those ships are so sexy... god I love em Mangozac - I am praying I win the Gothicomp Conversion to get my hand on two of those beauty's.

Any chance those wonderful conversion pieces will eventually go on sale in some shop or something of the like?
chinchilla
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks Chinchilla! Good luck with Gothicomp - I'm looking forward to seeing all of this year's entries!
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Heh... I wonder if I'll make it in this year. I'm trying as hard as I can to finish up the 5 strike cruisers i've got. They've been sitting on the desk for far to long and been under the brush far too long, but hopefully I'll have something worthy of all the effort Zac put into building the kit to give it some publicity.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Previous

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding