[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - More BFG?!? Strike Cruiser Conversion
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

More BFG?!? Strike Cruiser Conversion

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: More BFG?!? Strike Cruiser Conversion

Postby Vaaish » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:36 am

I was curious what happened to this :) Overall I think the project is turning out quite awesome and I think it marks a pretty major improvement to the SC's, but the antenna you mocked up is a bit too long and thick for the area. I think Xeones is right on the length but I also think that about half that diameter would work a little better too.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:13 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby TomG » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:05 pm

I know that feeling. I have my hands in many things. :D Btw 3D is nice opportunity to play with something before you start cut plasticard. I have home metal Space Marine Strike Cruiser, so I thought I can try build it later in 3D. You have some nice ideas here.
Only the Best Can Survive.
TomG
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:59 am

Yeah I was fortunate to have Vaaish do that original 3D model. Makes life much easier when you're just copying something rather than designing it as you go!
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Update time! We're on the home stretch now!

The side fins are pretty much done (just adding finishing touches). I've machined up and mounted all of the antennae and am quite happy with how they turned out. At this rate I guess I'll mould it all up tomorrow and do some test casts!

Here's some pics on both the GW and FW hulls:
SC_prow_27.jpg

SC_prow_28.jpg

SC_prow_29.jpg

SC_prow_30.jpg

My brother just stopped by and I showed him what I was working on. He appreciated the work that's gone into this but reckons I need to go back to building 28mm stuff because "the bigger models are cooler". I think he's on to something - I've had enough of BFG scratchbuilding for a while (well at least after I finish the Zeus Frigate project) :oops:
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:43 am

Very sweet! I think that's turned out excellent. Both look good, but oddly It looks a bit more interesting on the GW one than on the FW one. I have a minor quibble that the primary antenna on the front of the prow is either a bit too long or, and more likely, that the really short prongs to the outside are too small to really balance out the center one. It's pretty minor though. I'll be interested in seeing where you go with 28mm stuff :)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:08 am

Glad you like it!

Fair call about the shorter antennae adjacent to the main prow one. It felt OK to me but in retrospect I might replace one of them with a slightly longer variant like in your original 3D model. I'll make the change and then pour a mould this afternoon.

Getting back to 28mm will be fun, but don't hold your breath for any rapid progress there either!
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Oooh, like it very much too. Gotta agree with Vaaish that I kinda like thee GW metal better in the final version--which is kinda weird because I was most interested in the FW resin conversion to begin with. Both are really quite striking* though. Great work! I'll be looking forward to some bigger (relatively speaking anyway) stuff from you in the future. Seeing your progress makes me envious because my Stormraven project has been languishing as I've been out-of-town for the holidays.

*See what I did there? I swear that was unintentional! :D
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks Nate! Indeed both have turned out quite nicely but I think my preference still lies with the FW variant. It's much sleeker looking, although probably wouldn't look as at home next to a Battle Barge as the GW variant.

I've had some inspiration lately and am planning to go back to my project. My CNC router should make things easier and hopefully quicker too!

Yesterday and today have been the first bit of interruption-free modelling I've done in a while, so certainly don't feel guilty about your projects lacking attention! ;)
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Aaaaaaaaand we have resin!

To be really honest I didn't do the greatest job of the mould split positioning, making the mould lines harder to remove than they should be, but since I'll only probably be doing a small volume I don't think I'll bother trying again. Actually it would probably be better off being made as two moulds: one for the prow and fins and another for all of the weapons and accessories.

I know pics of the resin on the metal model are a pain - I'll prime it all grey in the morning and post more pics then (along with the converted FW model). For now I'm just excited to have the end approaching so quickly! In retrospect I don't know how Vaaish talked me into taking this on, and had I realised at the time how much work was involved I probably would have turned it down! :P

Oh well it's always a pleasure :D

SC_prow_final_1.jpg

SC_prow_final_2.jpg

SC_prow_final_3.jpg

SC_prow_final_4.jpg

SC_prow_final_5.jpg
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:12 am

That ended up looking pretty sweet! I think it's a pretty large improvement over the orignial versions of both. BTW, what thickness of styrene strips did you use on the rear fins? Seeing the resin versions they look a bit sparse compared to the front so I'll probably add a couple bits more reinforcing to them to break up some of the area a bit more.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby TomG » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:38 am

Yeah good work. It ended nicely.
Only the Best Can Survive.
TomG
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks guys! Here's the final pics.

RE: the side fins, I felt that the level of detail was borderline. Although I did note that a little bit of extra banding might be better, I was worried about the extra detail cluttering them too much and thus made the decision to leave them as is. The prow fins and side fins are both 0.75mm styrene.

SC_prow_final_6.jpg

SC_prow_final_7.jpg

SC_prow_final_8.jpg

SC_prow_final_9.jpg
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:37 pm

I think it's just on the FW version it looks a little sparse. On the GW one it seems better because of all the greebles on the main hull... Of course, now I'm going to have to strip that cruiser when it comes back! :)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:20 pm

mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding