[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - More BFG?!? Strike Cruiser Conversion
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

More BFG?!? Strike Cruiser Conversion

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: More BFG?!? Strike Cruiser Conversion

Postby mangozac » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:56 pm

So I had a play around today (although didn't come up with anything worth photographing) and I think I've sorted it out. I've concluded that the fins shown in the pics above look off manly because they are undetailed. I'm pretty sure that once I start to add the banding and other details they will start to tie in very nicely. That said, I will still shave a smidgen off the hight (from the vertical part, not the angled section) just to make them look a little more streamlined (space aerodynamics) ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Quick update for today:

I've done a bit of detailing on one of the fins. It's still going to need a bit more to tie it in with the rest of the aesthetic, but I'm certain that the overall fin shape works well now. Actually the picture isn't the best representative view...

You can also see that I've done the plug part of the cannon module installed into the launch bay. The next step will be to turn up some barrels to mount to it - I'll probably do three large barrels with two smaller barrels diagonally above/between them.

I'm still putting off doing the main front antenna array - and those that will mount inside the side fins too for that matter. The mess that I made on my first attempt has really shattered my confidence for making them! Oh well I'll have to get to them sooner or later!

SC_prow_22.jpg
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:54 pm

all I can say is i'ts lookin good :) I think leaving the antenna off the fin until it's fully detailed would probably be a good route anyway since it'll help see where they need to go. These changes are a huge improvement over the stock SC IMO :)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Seb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Man that is looking the sha-zizzle. Get me my armor, I have a strike cruiser to board!

- Seb
Seb

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:29 am

mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:41 am

cool stuff :) You know if you keep this up, I'm going to need to add in a BFG Marine fleet to the list of stuff I need to paint next year rather than a sample for you. :)

I'll be curious to see how the fins work out on the GK cruiser too.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:22 pm

And here's the promised pic:

SC_prow_23.jpg

As you can see the bombardment cannon plug is coming along nicely. It just neds a little more detailing and it'll be all done. To be honest the cannons are slightly off-centred (actually there's a slight off-centred-ness for the whole top section of the prow which it's far too late to do anything about) but not bad enough to compel me to redo it all!

Also note what I'm trying to do on the rear of the side fin with a built up level of plating. It gives the rear of the fin the detail and weight it needs. I should make a start on detailing the second fin - it'll be a good way to put off any more work on antennae that I'm still dreading...

Inbetween work on the prow I've been slowly adding details to the Zeus style frigate design I'm doing. It's coming along nicely - I should start a thread on it and share some pics!
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:04 am

ok, that BC plug is looking plain awesome. very nice job!
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:12 am

That's looking really good, the gun barrels are really clean looking.
paulson games

Postby Xeones » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:43 am

Yeah, I like where this is headed too. Looks great.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:30 am

mangozac

Postby Seb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Brass rods you say? Hmmmm.. I have a couple of project ideas that were stymied by a lack of such things. I'll email you later :)

Looks great, suitable for my planetary bombardment needs upon miscreant separatists. :evil:
Seb

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 pm

mangozac

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Hey all, I've got a quick little update tonight. Progress has been a bit slow of late as I've had lots of other non-hobby stuff going on. I have however in spare moments been doing little bits on the other side fin, which is 95% done.

That leaves me with 3 things necessary to complete the project: the three sets of antennae. I mocked one of the side antennae up from styrene rod and think it's looking ok as a base design so should probably just bite the bullet and start turning up some brass rod already. Unfortunately I probably won't get a chance to do that until some time next week.

Anyway here's some pic updates of the parts temporarily superglued to the GW strike cruiser. I'm expecting to get the project knocked over and moulded/cast in the days following Christmas.

SC_prow_24.jpg

SC_prow_25.jpg

SC_prow_26.jpg

On a side note my phone is still taking great pics! At full res before I resize the amount of detail is astounding!
mangozac

Postby Xeones » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:34 am

Looking good Zac. I really like the look from the back three-quarters shot. The antennae (IMO) seems a little long to me though. I think I'd shorten it by about a third of its length. Really though, I'm loving the way this is turning out. Keep up the good work!

--Nate
Xeones

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding