[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - mech help
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

mech help

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

mech help

Postby virusoverload » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:27 am

Ive been going to build myself some mechs for counts as sentinals for my imperial guard, after reading some threads (the centurian mecha one specifically) I was wondering if anyone could point me to some tutorials or give me some tips on how to accomplish stuff like this.

sorry if this is a very vague request just i can kinda do most of it kyself but as I dont have that much money id like as much knowledge as possible so i dont waist materials on silly mistakes that could've been avoided.

thanks
virus
virusoverload
Casual

Re: mech help

Postby Anvils Hammer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 am

well.. to be honest, scratch building a vehicle model isnt somthing which can be "taught", I suspect most people build up the required design/build skills by starting with more simple conversions and gradually making more complex mods, untill a full scratch build becomes possible.

Have you got some sketches of what you want to build? Thats the first step, then think about the kind of materials you will need- plasticard strips, sheet, rod etc etc.

Are you going to make for example, the leg parts, then cast them? or is this a full scratch build project?

One thing I will say is that you will not save money doing this. Do it for the love of scratch buildign, but if you want to save money, getting a part time job and buying the sentinels from ebay will work out a lot more cost/time effective!
Cheers,

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:26 am

Yes you're right Virus; it is a bit of a vague question!

If you have a full time job then as a money saving exercise scratchbuilding isn't a very good idea. The time it takes to scratchbuild something as wages will generally pay for the bought item many times over! There are two reasons to scratchbuild something:

1. As AH says, you simply enjoy scratchbuilding. This is a good reason. However for it to be enjoyable and generate good results you have to have the right tools and materials, which all cost money. Admittedly though it's more of an upfront cost as these things will then last many, many projects (or a lifetime in the case of some tools).
2. To create something new and unique. Something that you can't get anywhere else.

For me it's a mixture of both. I just love building stuff and if I'm going to build stuff I figure it might as well be something new. And then one step further if I'm going to do all of that work I might as well cast and sell the model as a kit and make back some money from it ;)

AH's advice to work your way up in project scope is sound, however not 100% necessary. For example I jumped from just general modelling and light conversions directly to my Superheavy Assault Walker scratchbuild (and associated education in casting techniques) without "working up to it". That said however, I have a strong background in fabricating things so working out how to make something comes naturally to me. Also, the SAW project had a lot of parts reworked after I decided I could do them better.

My advice:
1. Pour through all of the scratchbuilding threads you can find. Take in all of their tools, materials and techniques. Everyone approaches things slightly differently (which is a good thing). Check out the titan build logs of people like and on warseer. Look at the in progress work from . Don't be afraid to venture into non-wargaming forums - everything we do in wargame modelling has been done before in Military or Gundam modelling ;)

2. Milliput and styrene are the base materials. Know them and practice with them. Pick up some of those assorted packs of styrene strips and tubing. I think Gale Force 9 does them (expensive, but easy to get and really not bad value when you look at the price of buying Evergreen styrene tubing packs).

3. Even if you're not working from a specific design or picture, have a folder full of concept art to draw inspiration and ideas from. 2D art, 3D art, miniatures, models, everything. I've got a "mecha" folder with several hundred photos in it.

4. Get building and post your progress here! That way we can comment on your techniques and make suggestions.

5. A decent assortment of tools is necessary. I've got a really outdated list of tools I was using a couple of years ago but I've since expanded that a lot. That said though, the list in that post should be a good starting point.

6. are your friend. Can be a pain to get a hold of but are well worth it!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby virusoverload » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks for all the advice. Ive gotta say this has to be the friendliest forum i.know.of, and full of advice. I do a fair few conversions already these tend to consist more of kit bashing and greenstuff. And was hoping to make the jump. By the sounds of it. It might be worth trying it out as long as I do some design work. And I should have plenty of reference material as I have 32gb of references for painting, conversions and drawings. So I will post some of my conversions to be picked on :) and get some advice. Although looking at my desk most of my conversions me be with other people so ill.post what I can find.
virusoverload
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding