[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Battletech _ Large scale Osiris WiP
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Battletech _ Large scale Osiris WiP

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Battletech _ Large scale Osiris WiP

Postby smtk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:43 am

Carrying on from my resin check list thread here's a few very hastily snapped shots of the model tact together with a dab of super glue and some blue tac. (So see how it scaled with my hunchback)

I have to drill the gun barrel holes next then I can get on with prep and fitting (So ignore the flash lines and filler etc)

If you're curious about the Osiris here a link to sarna (battlewiki):
Last edited by smtk on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Re: Battletech _ Large scale Osiris WiP

Postby Deadmeat30 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:46 am

looking really smart! great that you got a large kit cast so early! :D

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 am

Love it! If the other mech (which I do remember you have another thread here about) is anything to go by I'd say this is going to turn out fantastic!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby smtk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:47 am

Undercoat on

Its standing here primed (black, tin, boltgun metal) ready for the first coat paint (I'm going with the same desert ridge line as my hunchback). While the legs are assembled the upper body is not glued to make for easier painting.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:21 am

Looking good! Do you use the salt/hairspray method for chipping the paint back to this metallic undercoat?

My only negative comment is about the wonky barrel on the right weapon of the mech. I don't know if it was deliberate but it really detracts from it IMO. If need be you can straighten it with some hot air...
mangozac

Postby smtk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 am

All the barrels, arms, torso sections are loose for now so they don't get in the way while I'm painting. Once my base colours are down I'll glue the torso together and once the high lights are done I'll glue the all barrels on except for the top one which I'll leave unglued for storage purposes.

I've tried hair spray method in the past with mixed results. Mines a variation of that Instead of hairspray I give the model a coat of varnish then a Q-tip dipped in Acrylic paint thinner gently rub back the paint careful to stop at the clear coat

I've also run out of air propellant :x so not more painting till tomorrow
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:03 am

Ahh that's cool then!

Interesting to hear about your mixed results with the hairspray method - I thought everyone loved it! Any chance of a few progress pics of your technique (even though it sounds pretty straightforward)?
mangozac

Postby smtk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:19 am

2/3rds of the way through paint at the moment. Still need to tidy a few odds and sods, add some metal highlights, clear coat, weather and final clear coat

I made a video on my eroded paint method just uploading it to youtube atm will post in the morning. Hairspray didn't work well for me because you need remove it while the covering coat is still wet. Which isn't possible on such large mechs which have 6 paint layers (2 tone of base/medium/highlight)
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:20 pm

OK good to know about your results with the hairspray technique. Will look forward to the youtube vid!
mangozac

Postby smtk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHl7M3vQI0

^ youtube for the thinners abrasion method
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Fantastic stuff! Great filming and well spoken!

I wasn't aware that the hairspray method required the paint to still be wet - surely the top coat would be dried before the abrasion most of the time?

I actually thought that the hairspray method was discussed in Imperial Armour Model Masterclass, but after a quick flick through I couldn't find any references to it...

Thanks for sharing!
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:56 pm

p.26
blind pig
Junkie

Postby smtk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Ahh there we go. I was looking for the technique on a whole model, not just the dozer blade ;)

I see what you mean about the paint not being too dry - the article only mentions touch dry! Consider the SMTK technique stolen! 8-)
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:28 pm

I use the hairspray technique on my FW Ork minis.

I use Black primer coat, rusty orange, boltgun, Foundation red dry brushed blood red, with hairspray between the black/rusty orange, rusty orange/boltgun, boltgun and reds.

I try to start to remove the paint in the various layers whilst the red is still touch dry, the lower colours come through with more vigorous scrubbing with a stiff brush or even a toothbrush.

It works....... :)
blind pig
Junkie

Next

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding