[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Battletech 1/60 MW4 Hunchback (mk2) WIP (img hvy)
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Battletech 1/60 MW4 Hunchback (mk2) WIP (img hvy)

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Battletech 1/60 MW4 Hunchback (mk2) WIP (img hvy)

Postby smtk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:21 am

Its been a while since i posted I had a house move to deal with which seem to mean an endless list of DIY type jobs.

Any way I'm closing in on a MK2 version of the Mechwarrior hunchback. If you remember the first model i made was my first cast resin model and my 2nd scratch built mech. The scale was off making it too large and build was basic compared to what I've gained in knowledge.

I've got some work to do to finish the arm connections and tidying the torso, I also took it upon myself to make totally from scratch some CBT/MWO arms and head which if I'm honest sapped way more time than i thought they would. And I also decided to go with the concept art head too which came out rather nice (go me!)

I'm going to just make a photo dump of progress so far! (if that's ok)

Build Blog
smtk
User

Re: Battletech 1/60 MW4 Hunchback (mk2) WIP (img hvy)

Postby Deadmeat30 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 am

Please tell me how i can get one of these ;)

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Love your work SMTK!

Are you basing it off papercraft model plans in the first picture or did you custom draw them for this project? I love your mix of approaches with the construction and love to see the improvements in technique you're making with each new build!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby smtk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:33 pm

I'll be selling a few of these once its finished. They'll be 2 versions MW4 and Battletech-est maybe if there's enough intrest IIC version.

My method this time is;
I take the paper plans and scale them to 1/60
I export those plan into Adobe illustrator
I added cutouts, detail pieces, make templates and edit anything that might work better to the plans.
Once they have been laser cut I assemble them and fill with putty
For rounded parts I make them out of putty, using a forming armature. ()
If there's 2 parts that are mirrored I cast them as blanks and add the Left or right detail later.
I made my own paper plans in Adobe illustrator for the battletech arms and Head and the MW4 head (PITA)
Anything that has to be drilled is cast first then drilled (no more exploding masters)
I started to use ball joints for poesability and stability and add in articulation elbows

I have a bunch of new tools too a drill press, disk sander, a big ass compressor, pin vice, razor saw, caliper, set square, spirit level. Which is all helping to keep things precise compared to the scalpel and ruler i started with.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 am

WHOA... thats some awesome work there....
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 am

What type of plastic are they laser cut from?

Some good power tools/machines make life so much easier. I'd be lost if I didn't have my little Sherline lathe! Spirit level is interesting though - do you really use that?
mangozac

Postby smtk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:59 am

I find the level useful for the lining up an odd shaped parts on the drill press to get a 90degree hole

I use a (the head unscrews) and a titling vice together to hold and level the part.

Also on connecting edges to make sure i have level surface (there's 7 stacked on top of each other on the HBK). I found at little time setting my desk up level and then making sure everything is level as i go means a lot less hassle down the line when fitting all those parts together.

The plastic the guy used was from these guys http://www.rowmark.com but they've changed their site since and I can't remember the name. The plastic feels more like a brittle ABS than styrene if i have to really alter a part often its easier to just make a new one out of styrene than trying to cut the plastic by hand. It sticks with plastic weld but not as strongly or as quickly as styrene does i think it has a high carbon content in it.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby smtk » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:37 am

We're getting there almost

replaced pic see below;
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby smtk » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Ok better picture taken today in the daylight;

Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby Vaaish » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:21 am

I like the mech overall, but I gotta say, that head is far too tiny. looks totally out of place on there. I realize it might be "accurate' but in this case, I think aesthetics trumps accuracy.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby smtk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:46 am

Your right even though the HBK always had a pin head it could of been bigger and the final piece did come up 2mm smaller than intended.

I had a few issues to consider in sizing;
Retaining the over all shape of the concept drawing
Chin over hang
Height over the AC20
Space to add another AC20 on the left shoulder (IIC variant)

So over all I'm happy with it. There has to be a cut off point if i go back an fiddle with everything not 100% right I'd never get to an end point. Good thing is the head isn't cast with the torso so it should be easy enough to convert it or replace it.

There's also a CBT head to go along some CBT arms but for now I'm focused on getting the MW4 version to the finish-line so i haven't shown much of that for now.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 pm

I don't have a problem with the size of the head, but I'm a fan of pinheaded mecha designs. But I do feel like the head needs more details - it looks unfinished as is (of course that may just be because it is unfinished!).
mangozac

Postby smtk » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:39 pm

I think some of the details are lost in the picture. The side of the head has nice in step and some score marks. The front mouth has an angled louver grill. I thought about a top hatch but looked like a pimple then I realised that side step the artist put in was so the whole face could till forward like a truck cab to let the pilot in. I think once its painted the detail will start to pop out.

I also thought I'd show you what the original head (from the game model) looked like for giggles
"DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!" :lol:
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 am

Ahh ok yeah point taken. Your new design leaves the original for dead!
mangozac

Postby smtk » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:04 am

So with the rtv working again I've finished the MW4 version.

And I'm getting there with the Classic battletech/Mechwarrior Online-est parts

Once i get the MW4 version painted I'll post it to the finished project sections (because you know it's not finished till it's painted)
Build Blog
smtk
User

Next

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding