[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Comms, ECM and AEW
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Comms, ECM and AEW

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Comms, ECM and AEW

Postby Arkangel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Well the casting will be done by my-self actually. I've had a dabble while I've been absent from here and had some good results. I now have moulds for space-marine helmets not easy to find as well as some shoulder pad stuff and some other bits and bobs.
I'm going to be making some moulds for strictly 'personal' use only for some stuff I just don't want to pay through the nose for if you get my drift ;) And I'm going to attempt to mould and cast some oop mini's for my collection, they're V.Hard to come by without paying an extortional ammount of money for on e-bay. Plus they seem to be rarer and rarer to find on there.

Once again work has been hectic with people moving around etc here. We're scaling down on the section where I work plus with the up-coming Defence cuts looming in the UK things are a little doom and gloom at the moment so I had to put my project stuff on hold.
Typical!! There was I all like, 'Hey I'm Back blah blah,' and work was like, 'Hey here's loads of stuff to do, and start looking for a new job!' :x

This weekend is a gaming weekend for me so I'm off to Warhammer World to pick up my heresy armour, iron armour and various pattern bolters thanks to forgeworld :lol: Then get some games in against Chaos marines, Eldar and prob Imp Guard!
NEXT WEEK I PROMISE!!!!!! :oops:
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby BlueRonin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 pm

hey Dan,

Awesome work, I really enjoyed seeing some of your stuff in person. I am anxiously awaiting more news on those pads, bro; you have me set to build a Catachan Command Valkyrie kitted out for battlefield C&C.

Loken's idea to set it up like the Apocalypse legendary unit is still under consideration (i.e. I'm considering whether I'll combine those rules and your modeling idea, or make two separate Valkyries).

Some other ideas off the top of my head is working out a rule set that relates the ECM kit to a formation for both Apocalypse and Spearhead, such as an air support formation consisting of a command Valkyrie and two Vendettas or Vultures - and the special rules relate to the formation, as opposed to the function of the actual model itself.

In any case, I'm picking up a new Valkyrie kit to have ready for when I can cooperate a bit with you on this, bro!
BlueRonin
User

Postby BlueRonin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 am

Yo, any news on this front? I'm still dying to see a Valk done up as a command and control bird! :)
BlueRonin
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 am

how have I missed this??? Very cool.

And yea.... Next week??? that was in Sept... Your due for an update.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Arkangel » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:36 pm

I know guys I'm sorry :oops: Unfortunately real life has got in the way. And the odd weekend I have had to myself I've used for gaming rather than sculpting etc. I will attempt to make ammends and post something later today :)

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:27 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Arkangel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:57 am

UPDATE!!! :twisted: Ok guys it's been a while I know but I've been off work the last 2 days with some kind of Virus which the doctor insisted I had to rest. So with no much to do but veg infront of the TV I decided to try and do something.
So here we are. I've greened up most of the joins now and fashioned a nice bulbous end for both variants, and the Designator pod. The green-stuff is still not dry enough for sanding yet so that I intend to do tomorrow. I've also added the Pylon attatchment for the Pod which will allow it to be fitted to any Sci-Fi flyer in 'certain' miniature ranges. The attatchment for the Designator Pod will get done tonight as it won't require filling.

L/R: Designator Pod, ECM Pod 2, ECM Pod 1

ECM Pod 1 with Pylon

ECM Pod 1 Left Pylon Fitted

ECM Pod 1 Right Pylon Fitted

ECM Pod 1 Dry Fitted Plastic Wing

ECM Pod 1 Dry Fitted 'Resin' Front

ECM Pod 1 Dry Fitted 'Resin' Rear

ECM Pod 1 Dry Fitted 'Resin' Underneath

So this should keep the wolves at bay!!! :mrgreen:

Hope you like the picts. :mrgreen:

On a side note I will be adding fins to the kit but they will be optional. Once I've decided on size and location I'll post some more dry fits up for critique. Also I may Cast ECM 1, and instead of having two seperate kits have the 2 different Transmitter/Reciever heads and one main body. It all depends on how the second variant comes out. If it looks like a viable alternative I'll simply add it to the kit as that, or Have two different bodies and two different Head units? Any thoughts?

My idea is to have as many options available to me as possible.

Hasta :P

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:06 am

Yay updates!

Coming along nicely Dan! Glad to see other using the "glob on the putty and sand it to shape later" technique I'm so comfortable with ;)

Are you planning to do panel lines and countersunk rivets? I know you want them to be smooth but both are required to ensure they fit the aesthetic of all possible aircraft.

My vote is for 2 heads and 2 bodies - you can never have too many options! They should be relatively easy to cast as well...

Hope you feel better soon (or maybe not if it gives you time for hobby work!).
mangozac

Postby Arkangel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:12 am

No such luck back in teaching tomorrow. I'm well, so I'm not going to 'swing the lead' so to speak. It's pretty hectic at work. Anyways I digress..... Yes and er yes? :?

I plan to use some paper thin plastic-card/styrene for some small access panels with counter sunk rivets nothing too much though as I don't want to complicate the piece, but I do want it to fit the aesthetic. I may cast first then add these to the first decent cast piece so I can change the design without infringing on the original concept piece. That way I can bash out a couple of different ones and people here can help out :mrgreen:

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:19 am

Not such a bad idea actually - it's much easier to drill and scribe resin than it is styrene and GS!
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Arkangel - I love it! You have be drooling here, the Regimental CO of my Airmobile Catachan is chompin' at the bit!
BlueRonin
User

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:36 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Arkangel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Ah OODA loops.... :mrgreen: Colonel Boyd has a lot to answer for!!! :twisted: As for the tip of the hat to the 'PAVE-LOW' programme your pretty spot-on. I did use a couple of reference shots earlier in the thread but as I've said, tied in with these pods will be a new 'internal-fit'. This will feature a command and control layout similar to the comms 'bird' featured in both 'Blackhawk Down' and in the more recent 'Greenzone'.
It will feature a replacement for the rear ramp and aft section, which is aleady half built, a command station/screens etc, two seats and crew. The seats will be similar to those already in the 'drop-ship' or I may just scratch build some that are similar in design. Not sure yet depends if i can get the spare bits I'm after. The final parts are the flare launchers, which are in the process of being built. I know where I'm going to place them on the different aircraft it's just a matter of ensuring they are universal.

This will be the 'Heimdall Drop ship' when complete (All 3 components of the thread), Command and Control parts, ECM and Designator Pod fit, Chaff/Flare Pods. The name is a tip of the hat to the previous drop ship name and to put a smile on Blueronin and Joey's face, if they know their own mythology of course? :P

That's it for now I may try to post some pics of the WIP command and control section later.

Hasta

Arkangel
Habit

Postby BlueRonin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:06 am

/tip the hat - I like it! :)
BlueRonin
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:26 am

Can't wait to see this!