[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Malcador Imperial and Renegade.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Malcador Imperial and Renegade.

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Malcador Imperial and Renegade.

Postby Arkangel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:07 am

Ok peeps ;) Another little project to wet your appetite while I get the 'Pods' built/sculpted. I'm a massive 'Tread Head' and Titan fan. When the Vraks books came out I was essentially in my element. Titans, Tanks and Scorpions (Red) what more could I ask for :D
Anyway after checking out the Malcador I decided there was NO-WAY I was going to pay the asking price for one. I own a 'considerable' 8-) ammount of tanks, several 'Super-Heavies' included from plastic to resin, and thought to myself, 'You know what I reckon I could build one of those.....hmmm?'
After a quick google, and a template later(Link may follow on Collaborator Approval) all I needed was some plasti-card, my bits box and a little faith in myself.
I have to admit, although I consider myself a fairly competent modeller, building something essentially from scratch was a pretty daunting task. However I figured if i could do this then I'd be well on the way to working my way onto some 'big' projects.
The template is a Dream to use. Very simple and spot on the mark. I helped myself by going onto the forge-world website and downloading all the picts of a Malcador I could get my hands on for the different angles etc and a better idea of what one looks like built up-close and personal.

So for the build I printed off 3 or 4 copies of the templates. The reason for this was so that I could essentially build one from paper/card to see how the thing actually came out. Also it would it allow me to modify it if i wanted to. This was definately a good idea, as I found out later on.

Anyway I'm not going to give a step by step WIP as the main tank is effectively built. However I have recently started a new 'Renegade' version for a mate ,and I've also been asked to make one up as a 'KIT' for someone else to build. Both really cool little projects that have come out of my own passion to build some thing for myself. So for these I will add in what picts I can. What I will do is answer any questions, give anyone who wants to try it themselves help and direction and most of all encourage Anyone to 'have a go'. I can't believe, although a little time consuming, how much fun and how cheap and easy it is to do. The plasti-card has cost less than £10 ($16 US) and I've used it to build pretty much 2 models!!

So here are the pics. Please remember any comments, good or bad, are welcome. But hey keep them constructive and in-keeping with the forum ;) ENJOY!!

For the rest of the pict follow this link:
http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

Arkangel
Habit

Re: Malcador Imperial and Renegade.

Postby mangozac » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:33 am

Great job man that's looking great! Whilst I'm not a big fan of the Malcador design, those templates seem to be spot on. Certainly if you're just trying to reproduce an existing design, templates are definitely the way to go!

Oh and feel free to link to templates - I have no problem with them. I don't see any legal issues with free templates but so long as we're not hosting them there's definitely no issues ;)

Are you looking forward to the riveting stage? :p
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Arkangel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:07 am

Hey Zac, thanks mate apreciate the thumbs up :D Warhound's been on my case about this project since I showed him the original pics :roll: Nothin new there ;)

As for the link, this should work: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bwc-archive/

There are soooo many templates here it's awesome. It's a yahoo group so you'll have to sign up to it to be able to acces it but hey for what you get back it's no major drama.

I've also downloaded the Chaos Hell-blade fighter for myself from there. This is going to be another 'pet' project. I don't play the 'bad-guys', but it looks really easy to build, and there doesn't seem to be any built ones on the net that I can find, so I'm going to have a crack at it, then do a 'How To' for others. Hey share and share alike when it comes this sort of thing I reckon :)

Work's pretty heavy this week so I'll probably only be posting new picts of the 'Pods' til the weekend. And as for your question ......NO..I'm not looking forward to the riveting part...... :cry:

Arkangel

Arkangel
Habit

Postby Warhound » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:52 am

Nice one Dan!

Where are the track units btw? I have to say guys, that seeing this in the flesh, really does make you question the morality of buying FW stuff at all;-)

Looking forward to seeing the chaos flyer too- can't beat a bit of straight line sculpting!;-)

Oh and I have posted the link under resources now.

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Arkangel » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:08 am

OMG what a hell of week I've had :( Too much to mention on here, suffice to say that this has hampered my catching up with Warhound in person, sorry mate. Well as requested here are some shots of the track units. The other shots are on the link at the top of this post.

Check out the pics of my 'Signature' piece on my admittance form and the link to the shots of his big brother :)

Hopefully should get some more stuff on tomorrow

Hasta

Arkangel
Habit

Postby SDKFZ » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:47 am

Looking very nice ! Are you going to do that thin line that runs the upper part of the tracksides ?
Been toying with the idea to build on of these for my brothers TraitorGuards.
I was thinking that you might use strips and glue them on in stages to get at all the angles and curves.

Eagerly waiting for more updates !

/ SDKFZ
SDKFZ
Casual

Postby Arkangel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:05 am

Arkangel
Habit

Postby Arkangel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 am

Sorry guys just a quick update with a couple of pics of the track units with some additional detail.
Some better picts will follow tomorrow.

Arkangel

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:26 am

Very nice! What thickness styrene are you using for this?
mangozac

Postby Arkangel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:54 am

Hey Zac,
ok the main parts are all made from layered 1 and a half mm, sheet, plasticard. The thin strip is also the same dimension, it says on the label it's 1/4 scale 3 x 3. The styrenne strip, and some of the sheet is made by 'evergreen scale models' and is imported from the US. It seems to be one of the most common available over here in the UK, at all good model shops and also from the chain store 'Hobbycraft'. I pick mine up from a railway model shop not far from where I work too, if I'm not heading near town. So those steam entusiasts seem to have their uses :lol:
Some of the sheet styrenne is made by 'midwest products' also based in the states and they have their own web-site although I have to admit I've never checked it out.
By my estimate, and with exception of the use of my bits box for certain items, the Malcador can be built for less than £10 ($16 US, $18 AUS) which I think, for the sake of a little time and graft on my part, is money well spent. And I'm really enjoying the challenge too, especially as I'm practically building 3 at the same time!!! :lol: So much for free time.
They'll be new shots tomorrow, some of the 'Renegade' variant, and also more ECM/Designatorpod shots :D

Arkangel

Arkangel
Habit

Postby SDKFZ » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:09 pm

Those updated tracksides looks realy great. Love to see how it all comes together.

Ill be peeking over your shoulder ;)

/ SDKFZ
SDKFZ
Casual

Postby Arkangel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:26 am

Well I decided to give you all a sneak peak as to what the Malcador will look like, roughly, when it's built :D
I've also added a few shots of the beginings of the Renegade kit too.
Enjoy ;)

Front:

Right:

Rear:

Left:

Renegade Kit:

Here's a link to the others:
http://s627.photobucket.com/albums/tt36 ... _Arkangel/

Arkangel

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:35 am

Great work! The problem I'd have is after all that work I would want to make moulds of it and cast more! ;)
mangozac

Postby SDKFZ » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:44 am

This is great ! Just love the way this is going. Cool that youve started work on the renegade version too.
The loyalist one will look awsome with paint on it ( not to say that it looks any thing less now ;) )

/ SDKFZ
SDKFZ
Casual

Postby Arkangel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:15 am

Arkangel
Habit

Next

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding