[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - BFG, Pre-heresy marine heavy frigate wip
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

BFG, Pre-heresy marine heavy frigate wip

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

BFG, Pre-heresy marine heavy frigate wip

Postby Blindhorizon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:45 pm

This is my take on a pre heresy era marine heavy frigate wip. C&C welcome.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Re: BFG, Pre-heresy marine heavy frigate wip

Postby mangozac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 am

Looking good, Blind! Interesting and quite suitable pre-heresy style - I like the skinny mid-section. I assume some weapons batteries or something will be mounted there?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 am

Yes sir I will make removable sides, 1 for macro batteries and 1 for carrier sides.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Got an update, this thing has taken a lot more fiddly work fitting the weapon batteries in then i expected. The extra effort will pay off as everything will fit flush but i'm taking serious time making it just right. Last stuff i need to add is a flying bridge, some detail on the belly, and the carrier bays.

C&C very much requested, ideas on anything i can add if inspiration hits you let me know.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:59 am

Coming along very nicely!

I'd like to see some more details and crenellations along the dorsal and keel. Also, I feel that the large, curved areas on the prow and sides of the stern are too plain - if you don't want to do banding on them then perhaps consider scribing some fine panel lines into them. This will help with portraying the size of the ship - at the moment it looks like it could be even smaller than a destroyer...

Great work on the detail below the prow!
mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Like I said: either banding or panel lines. Panel lines would probably be more in-line with pre-heresy aesthetics, but they would need to be very fine. You need a nice sharp scriber (fortunately the Milliput takes scribing very well) and some thick tape to use as a guide. I'm not sure what kind of designs to scribe...
mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:30 am

Quick update, i finished the carrier sides. I'm not sure if i will do a lance turret side yet. Still tons of detail to finish on the ship as well as the flying bridge behind the rear turret.

C&C and any idea's welcome.
Blind-

@mango, i'll have to look into this scriber, i am not entirely sure what else i want to do but i will have to do something with those large flat spaces. Still a lot of work left though.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:57 pm

The launch bay is coming along nicely. I'm not a big fan of the shape from above though (I would have had it skewed forward). The only other thing is the lack of depth to the bays themselves. I would split the bay up into 4 openings rather than one large one - for extra points (although perhaps at the cost of sanity) make each bay arched.

To make scribing nice and clean use a product like this: . It's great stuff. I usually highly recommend the , however for this purpose it will be too wide. Just a pin point or something similar is all that's required.
mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:54 am

Added some ribbing to the back part of the ship. Thoughts? good/bad?

Thanks,
Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:50 am

Can you grab a pic more side on/from the front? Seems ok but the banding might be a little thick...
mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 am

Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Here's the side on shots you asked about mango.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Commissar-Krad » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Coming along nicely! The only thing I feel it may need is some of the detail lines at non 90 angles. Just a thought.
Commissar-Krad
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:54 pm

I agree with KRad's comment - some non perpendicularlines would definitely help. Like I said earlier, I think it would look better if the banding wasn't quite as deep (not that I suggest redoing the area you've done - just keep it in mind if you do prow banding ;) ).
mangozac

Next

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding