ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

The SDKFZ Reaver Project

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

The SDKFZ Reaver Project

Postby SDKFZ » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:00 am

Well being a noob to this Forum i guess that i have to post some work here aswell, so ....here goes !

Im working on a Lucius (FWs old Epic one ) Reaver from scratch. To this date ive goten about halfway trough this Project.

Just started work on the armouplates on the Carapace. Here are some vip shots for you :

Heres a groupshot with my scratchbuilt Warhound :

There you have it , my first official post on this Forum !

/ SDKFZ
SDKFZ
Casual

Re: The SDKFZ Reaver Project

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:26 am

Thanks for bringing this project here Karl. Your styrene work is fantastic and the level of details you create simply superb. Every time I look at your pictures I see cool new little details. It's very inspirational stuff!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby paulson games » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:42 pm

That's some pretty killer styrene work so far, very nice details.
paulson games

Postby Warhound » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:00 pm

I can only second the guys comments!

There is one area that does bother me though, and that is the lower torso. While the other area may be a simple shape (triangle, circle etc), they are disguised to detract from their simpicity. The lower torso is too square/ trapezium like. The edges need 'softening' if this makes sense (esp near the groin area)

I realise that this is still WIP, but I think that critique like this will hopefully spur you on to even more amazing work?

The attention to details and the weapons are truly tight though! 8-)

Keep the updates coming!

Cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Arkangel » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:00 pm

I have to say some amazing work esp. on the Warhound! I have to agree in part with Warhound. I think if you take a look at the leg/shin grieves and maybe you could take something from the Warhound's in the angles' That would make them less 'Boxy'in shape. The only other suggestion would be to grab a hair dryer or heat gun and make some rounded leg grieves similar to the 'Mars' pattern Warhound.
As a side note when i've ventured myself into these areas, esp the Malcador (New Picts Today Promise!!!!) ;), I've printed off picts from forgeworlds' web site to help with the visuals. I did this to help with the painting of my Warhound too, although I did have the original artist to help in all fairness. Cheers Warhound!!!!!!! :D

Your weapon work is awesome on the Warhound. Myself and Warhound may have a great addition to your reaver with a little project of ours too...... 8-)
Well once I can get away from work and we can hook up!!!

Arkangel
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby SDKFZ » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, about those leg-guards, they ARE the way they look on the FW-mini.
I get a lot of hot lead from my swedish forumabout them as well and ill anser as i deid there :
I did not design this modell, but as im building it with this model as a guid i think that i should stick to the square thema......................or ? :?

Warhound: If you mean the "box" it actualy has alsorts of details so without having to compleatly rebuild them i think theyll have to stay this way, sorry ;)

Perhaps some pics. will help.......

Cant wait to hear what you have as a addition to the Reaver, very curious.....

/ SDKFZ
SDKFZ
Casual

Postby Warhound » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:25 am

THAT looks so much better, also seeing it from different angles shows that it is not truly square- .... I will get back in my box:-)

I think more of these close up shots will help to explain your direction and show off the wondeful level of details that you are incorporating!

cheers
WARHOUND
EDIT: OH, and it wont be until end of Jan before we can show off the full project, but hark back to codex titanicus days and the weapon fits- this may give some clue 8-)
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Arkangel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:04 am

Looking really good ;) I appreciate that you're staying true to original FW mini,.....however some times a deviation, even so slight, can make all the difference. Just remember though anything we suggest is just an idea, something you may not have considered or maybe even a dirrection you had thought of but didn't have anyone to bounce off of :)

Warahound......Shhhhh...... Don't blow it 8-) All will be revealed

Arkangel
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby SDKFZ » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:52 am

Warhound : Your welcome out of the box at anytime, sometimes other people think of things you dont so, come out, come out !

Arkangle : Thanks for your thoughts, i do appreciate them !

Sorry to say, ill have to go away for some training with the Fire-departement, so there will be next to nothing done now for 3 weeks.
Ill try to post some more pictures of the Reaver next weekend, if you want me too.

Until then, cut away from your fingers ! :mrgreen:

/ SDKFZ
SDKFZ
Casual

Postby Vaaish » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:34 am

I think you've done an excellent job with the styrene work on this and staying true to the Epic mini. It's unfortunate that the old reaver is what I think might be the ugliest model FW has done. That said, I think it might be good to deviate to a degree from the original in the interests of aesthetics. Maybe work from the lucius warhound you have there for ideas on the shin, thigh, and groin armor in particular.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:10 pm

OK I'm glad the other guys have mentioned this as I otherwise would have felt too bad to give you this kind of feedback:

As amazing as your styrene work is, I'm really not a fan of the design. Not that it's your fault but fault of the unimaginative designer of the original epic model. BUT I think it would only take some very slight adjustments to make a world of difference.

1. As Vaaish said, taking some design cues from the Warhound's shin armour would dramatically reduce the boxy look of the legs.

2. The front groin armour plate has the same problem as the shin plates. I would make it have angled sides and a more 3D feel. Also it might be cool to have further angled segments that run down underneath to protect the leg hydraulic ball joints.

3. The tubing on the head is a bit large. I'm not sure how hard it would be to find some with about 75% of that diameter.

I know it sucks to get this kind of feedback after you've already spent time on the sections which people have suggested need redoing (Warhound does it to me all the time!) but you know we all mean well and just want to see the model looking as awesome as possible.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby SDKFZ » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi Guys !

Well as im of on training with the Firedepartement i have absolutly no time to build anything right now.
I have tought about those leg armour bits....................thats a lot of work as the ones mounted are almost done.

Have to think about them again.............

I might switch the Head cables but i dont know, the old epic ones are also very thick IMO.

Thanks for your thoughts, Mates !

/ SDKFZ
SDKFZ
Casual

Postby Vaaish » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:20 am

If it helps, looking at my epic reavers, the cable diameter is about the same height as the "eye" slot on the front f the head on the SG version.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding