[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - New member
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Re: New member

Postby MikaMa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Thank you all for helping me out. I actually will try to do this in a few days. I will report how things go. There are 9 parts I need to mold, do you guys suggest I do 2 or even 3 molds or only one? If only 1 should I place them in several rows?
MikaMa
Casual

Postby MikaMa » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:23 am

One more thing:

Since the models are a bit angled in few places, I find it hard to think a easy way to do the blue part

Using plasticard would be tricky, first i would need to cut a small piece and bend it in several places to make it fit the entire lenght of the model. That would take ages and be too tricky.

Any tips how to do the blue channels the easy way?
MikaMa
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 am

Just use styrene strip. It's really not difficult, especially since it doesn't matter how neat it is. Don't bend it; simply cut the lengths needed with angles at the ends so they meet up to the next section.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby MikaMa » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 pm

MikaMa
Casual

Postby Blindhorizon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:30 pm

That little piece that separates the three long pieces i would not add to the connection point. The three long pieces add plenty of ventilation to get bubbles out of, but that piece will add just a little more support to your item to get the shape you want, consistently. Now with working with something so small you won't really run into that issue, but i have noticed on bigger pieces it can really make or break how consistent you get a piece to cast. That being said once i start a practice i like to follow it through even with little pieces to help me better understand how i do my particular craft with future moldings. If the piece i left in comes to hinder me i would just remove it with a razor.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

1st try at split mold

Postby MikaMa » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:29 am

Well it's been a while and I managed to make my very first split mold. It was easy after all and the cutting wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

But.. There's always a but. It doesn't work :).

I made a mold out of three 6mm scaled tanks with frontal gun and a small siren light on roof (like police cars).

The sprue is like this (yes I draw very well!)

There are 3 of those boxes side by side. The red drawings represent the frontal gun and the siren dome.

I use squeezing while pouring but every time the gun nd the dome fails. Sometimes even the rear end fails because air traps between the rear and the vent..

After 15 failed casts I need help...should I just make a new better mold or what?

And..I have used talcum powder, tried only to cast one at a time and even poured some resin first to the problem areas then closed the mold...but no use. Also I have enlargened the vents.

I use smooth cast 300 with 3min pot life which is too low really.. Will get 305 next time

HEEEELP :)
MikaMa
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:59 am

Having separate pour and vent channels will help (so that the resin enters from the underside and the air exits from the top), but with such fine parts I'm doubtful. I'm sure the longer pot life resin will also be better. But ultimately the only way you'll be able to get perfect casts is through the use of vacuum and pressure.
mangozac

Postby MikaMa » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:50 pm

thanks mate,

so I am basicly doing the right things and there's not much I can do to make the casts better. What about the angle that I place the vehicles in the sprue? what if they would be something like

\ \ \

hmm.. well I will try to do another mold because if I would manage to get a few clean casts I still would lose too much resin per cast..

anyone want to cast for me :) ?
MikaMa
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Honestly, casting without vacuum is barely worth it for me, even for some personal hobby stuff.
You could try tilting the tank a little better, but the small protrusions will still give you trouble.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby MikaMa » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 pm

yea, disappointing but not much what I can do. Getting a pressure pot is really not an option atm. No spare room for it :P and don't want to blow our house up..wife might get mad.

and if someone can help me out and cast for me, PM me please :)

and to make sure: these are my own minis modeled and printed via shapeways.
MikaMa
Casual

Postby MikaMa » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:41 am

I made a new mold and casts are good :) patience is a virtue.

( funny that when I make molds or cast, pearl jam " even flow " plays in my mind :p
MikaMa
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:42 am

mangozac

Previous

Return to The Waiting Room