[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Where do I start with .. Casting a wood table in resin
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Where do I start with .. Casting a wood table in resin

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Where do I start with .. Casting a wood table in resin

Postby mynameiskristen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi All. I'm new here, I've never cast something in resin before and I thought that this forum could be my best bet in starting my journey.

I'm looking to create a wooden table, cast in coloured resin (see photo below). I don't know a thing about it, the materials, the price, whether or not I can do it at home or need to go to a workshop. Is it possible to cast something like this on my own or would I need to hire someone or a company to do it for me?

Any tips for how to do this? It would be greatly appreciated! Also, on a scale from 1-10, how difficult does this look??

Thanks!
mynameiskristen
Casual

Re: Where do I start with .. Casting a wood table in resin

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:15 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Not too expensive, but probably a lot of post-cure finishing. Probably a very slow polyester resin. Unless you have a very clean space, you'll get lots of dust and hairs showing up. Lots of potential problems.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mynameiskristen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:22 am

Thank you guys so much for your replies.. Damn, I imagined it might be quite difficult because of the size. I suppose I could make some type of cover for it though to put on top while it dries?

Will the polyester resin have too many fumes to be handled in a (semi small) sized apartment? How would I get the color I need? Are there any tutorials anyone could suggest for encapsulating such big items and or wood like this?

Have you heard of spaces you can go make such things in cities of yours? Or of places you could go to have it done professionally? When I lived in Berlin there seemed to be many workshops you could rent to do projects but I'm not sure if they have something similar here in Paris...

Thank you so much guys!
mynameiskristen
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:59 pm

mangozac

Postby mynameiskristen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:47 pm

Hey thanks Mangozac

Okay good to know, so I won't try it at home then! I don't know of any makerspaces here but I contacted your friend Pix to see if he had any suggestions.

Thanks for the link to where I can find the dyes!

Has anyone heard of manufacturers you can go to, to have prototypes made? Maybe this is too large for me to make alone with no experience.. :D
mynameiskristen
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:02 pm

So do you intend to just make one or many of them? Manufacturers might be interested if you are going to produce quantities of them, but one off probably not so much...
mangozac

Postby mynameiskristen » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:50 pm

I'd like to make a prototype and see how it comes out and if it is as I imagine it, then I'd be interested in manufacturing a limited series for sale.
mynameiskristen
Casual

Return to The Waiting Room