[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - cold casting metal - a large resin cladding panel
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

cold casting metal - a large resin cladding panel

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

cold casting metal - a large resin cladding panel

Postby uweresin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:14 am

Hi all

I could do with some of your wisdom. I'm currently working on a project as part of my study where I need to cast a large prototype cladding panel about 2meters x 0.9meters. To cut a long story short it's about accelerated weathering techniques on metal. I was hoping to cold cast metal by making a large mould, put a mix of metal powders down, apply a weak acid to bring out patina and rust (ill be using a mix of copper bronze and iron) neutralize the acid and pour over a thin layer of resin which will hopefully stick to a rigid back panel (maybe ply?). I thought by adding a rigid back panel i could save on the use of resin as i only need a few millimeters of metal powder resin to face the panel.
Here's an example:

description-"Metallic powder spread onto a metal surface then acid is applied that reacts with the powder. The acid is neutralized and the result is sprayed with resin making it permanent. This effect is used to give an aged look to items in custom homes"

I'm unsure of what to make the mould from, whether to treat the metal powder before pouring the resin or to wait until it has set before taking the panel, scrubbing back the face with 0000 wire wool and treating it. And whether the resin will stick to the back panel!

Hopefully I've explained myself ok, I'll look forward to hearing your advice!
Happy resin-ing
uweresin
Casual

Re: cold casting metal - a large resin cladding panel

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:40 am

Hi uweresin, welcome to RA!

This is certainly a unique application! How thick do you need the resin coat to be? Is consistent thickness of the resin coat necessary? I'm thinking the best way to approach the problem would be:

1. Start with a rigid backing material. You mentioned plywood but I would also consider plastic like perspex. Build a box around the edges to hold the resin in place later.

2. Apply some kind of adhesive to the backing and then add the metal powders.

3. Perform the weathering steps.

4. Set the panel on a flat, level surface.

5. Use a slow curing clear resin to apply a thin coat. You could even use some kind of single part product like this:
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to The Waiting Room