[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Clear and white resin together
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Clear and white resin together

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Clear and white resin together

Postby ald111 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:37 am

I want to make a mold of a water tank I made. When replicated I want most of it to be white except a half inch stripe down a side to be clear so I can see how much water is in the tank.
Suggestions on the best way to do this?
Do I have to make a mold for the clear part and white part separately then try to attach after or is there a way I can do this by molding a certain way or using material?
ald111
Casual

Re: Clear and white resin together

Postby mangozac » Thu May 28, 2015 2:43 pm

It depends - how big is the tank?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby ald111 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:27 pm

9" tall 12" wide 3" deep
ald111
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri May 29, 2015 7:58 am

There's definitely no easy way to embed the clear resin like you are after. I would look into doing some kind of sight glass tube like . All that's needed is a piece of clear tube and two elbows. How many do you need to make?
mangozac

Postby ald111 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:25 pm

Do you think it would bond to plastic already solidified? Like if I make a mold for the white area only and make it then a mold for the entire piece with the clear area included and pour in the clear plastic. Would it bond to the white part already made that's already formed?
ald111
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:12 am

The resin will bond to other resin no problem at all. The only potential for issues is if you're using mould release, which you would have to clean off first.
mangozac

Postby ald111 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:24 am

Great point. I haven't ordered yet but will it come of easy? Just wipe off ode need to use alcohol or something etc.
ald111
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:47 am

Yeah it's easy enough. Dish detergent in warm water should do fine. Automotive degreaser if you want to be really thorough...
mangozac

Return to The Waiting Room