[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Smooth on Crystal Clear 202 + mold star 15
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Smooth on Crystal Clear 202 + mold star 15

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Smooth on Crystal Clear 202 + mold star 15

Postby ThatGKchick » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Hello there,

First time boarder here and I just have 1 question for you guys that have experience with this material (It's saturday and I can't call smooth on because they're not open on weekends and I want a quick answer before the weekend ends >_< )

I plan on making a 2 part mold to cast some pieces of a figure I sculpted, some pieces need to be clear resin so I'm going to use Crystal Clear 202 from smooth on, I've gone over all their videos on youtube but they only confused me, on one video they made a 2 part mold using star mold 15 to cast a sea conch shell and just showed how they added the resin to the mold and then popped into the pressure pot for curing, then I see another video showing this product again and degassing the resin in a vacuum chamber and they poured into a *pre heated* mold, so this is the part where I get confused, do you need to pre heat your mold if you're doing pressure casting or not? and if you do need to pre heat it, how do you preheat a mold? I've gone crazy trying to find this info on youtube and google with no luck, I just get results for metal casting :/

I hope someone can help me out with this >_<

ThatGKChick
ThatGKchick
Casual

Re: Smooth on Crystal Clear 202 + mold star 15

Postby RageofAchilles » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:28 pm

hi

Resin curing is an exothermic reaction , the more resin in a curing object will create more heat.
Some clear resins require baking after demoulding to complete the cure, but smooth-on didn't say anything about that with CC 202, so I assume it isn't required.

I assume that smaller items wont create enough heat during curing , so maybe that is why they pre heat the mould. This is easy enough to do in a oven. pre heating isn't normally required for pressure casting, it is probably a requirement of the resin being used.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Re: Smooth on Crystal Clear 202 + mold star 15

Postby Fleafa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:59 pm

Pre-heating will help smaller items cure, but should also encourage better cross-linking during the reaction, as heat is not lost to the mould. As I understand it, a stronger product should result and, if using clear resin, better optical properties.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to The Waiting Room