ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

resin casting help

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

resin casting help

Postby kifft » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:28 am

i am tring to cast knife handles, pen blanks and any thing else that seems cool. i have tried alumilite, but due to the complexity of the designs i want, i can not get the bubbles out before it sets. i have also tried a two part polyamine epoxy that is air releasing. this epoxy is so thin and has such a long pot life that when i pour two differently colored parts into the mold they almost mix completly(color-wise). also the pearlizing powder i add settles to the bottom of the mold. would a filler or thickner help prevent this? i thought about using a fumed silica, but is hard to sand. i am going to try wood flour to see if it helps, but i think it would affect the opacity/traslucentcy. does any one have experiance with this kind of thing? i would prefer some thing cheap, as it turns out i am cheap...no really.. crazy cheap!!!!!!
kifft
Casual

Re: resin casting help

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:42 am

If you want cheap then resin casting isn't the greatest hobby to get into!

If you add a filler to your super thin resin it will lose a lot of its air releasing ability, but if it takes as long as you say to set then a lot of the filler will probably settle anyway. You need to look into using more appropriate polyurethane based resins with shorter cure time and a vacuum or pressure casting technique to remove bubbles.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to The Waiting Room