ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Help with Resin used in Kitchen Countertops

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Help with Resin used in Kitchen Countertops

Postby nevadasmith68 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:44 am

Hi, I am brand new here and wanted to see if anyone can help. I am a General contractor and searching for the type of Resin being used in Kitchen countertops, not the Corian solid surface type. I want to be able to use 80% aggregate such as glass chips and broken marble or tile and 20% Resin BInder.
I am trying to find out what type of resin binder is being used in Eco Friendly kitchen countertops. I do know that some companies use a Portland cement binder with chips of glass and porcelain, but this is too heavy for me to continue to do on my own and also needs to be cared for. I have been researching this for a year now and have come up empty. I know that it is a low or free VOC resin and is stain and somewhat heat resistant to a certain point. Can be poured to 3/4 - 1 '' thickness and is relatively lighter than concrete. I know this is a Resin forum, but I thought that there was more than likely people here that know a lot more about the Resins than I do. I have tried to find a company to test a sample that I have from one of the big box stores, but no one wants to test it for the resin binder or does not do that type of testing.

I know that some use a enviro casting resin while others use a type of corn resin. It needs to be eco friendly and strong. I think most epoxy resins would not be considered because of being too soft.
I would include a photo of the what I want to make, but not sure how to do that here.

I hope the best to all and if there is someone out there that has some different ideas, please share them with me.

Here is a link to a website of what I would like to try to do.

http://www.eos-surfaces.com/geos/

Thanks again. Scott
nevadasmith68
Casual

Re: Help with Resin used in Kitchen Countertops

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:54 am

Sorry Scott but this kind of application is vastly different to what most people here are doing. Unfortunately I don't even know where to start - the only real option here is to talk to suppliers of resin fillers about what they would recommend (as you say, they can't or won't test a sample).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to The Waiting Room