[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - BEGINNER: Analog to silicone release agent
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

BEGINNER: Analog to silicone release agent

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

BEGINNER: Analog to silicone release agent

Postby DaNiX » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:49 am

I'm looking for ways to make 2sided molds with sprays/etc that are easily obtainable. I learned casting/molding from tested and they used krylon crystal clear 1303 but the problem is that shipping it to EU costs twice the price-so that is a no go. What can I use? What kinds of paints etc..?
DaNiX
Casual

Re: BEGINNER: Analog to silicone release agent

Postby mangozac » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:16 am

When I did 2-part moulds I used Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly). I would put some in a spoon and use a lighter to melt it into a very liquid state, then paint it on with a brush, taking care to avoid getting it on the part being moulded.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby DaNiX » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:41 am

DaNiX
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:36 pm

I've been told to avoid vaseline as petroleum is, of course, flammable. Explosions are fun on Mythbusters but less so in your workshop.
There are plenty of release agents available in the UK. Avoid silicone-based if you intend to paint the casts. Wax is the way to go as any residue is easily cleaned using warm water and detergent. MacWax is my personal favourite as the can produces a dispersed mist rather than a focussed squirt!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:06 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Yeah, no idea. Still, £8-12 for a spray can which lasts ages is fine with me. Easier than melting and brushing, and gives an even coat.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Resinero » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm using the Mann Ease release 200 and it's very easy to use, just a small amount (too much will make small bubbles in the surface) and wait to dry after a short time and it's ready. I'm using pressure pot and no problems!

I was using talc before but since i'm using this product i just using the spray, i think is cleaner.
Resinero
Casual

Return to The Waiting Room