[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Wood & Resin Dining Table
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Wood & Resin Dining Table

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Wood & Resin Dining Table

Postby BigFrank » Wed May 11, 2016 10:44 pm

I want to make this table! I am a journeyman woodworker with access to most homeowner/diy tools. I can source the rough cut planks.
After reading and watching many youtube videos, I am still not 100% sure how to go about making this beauty. I have a few specific questions lingering…

1. What is the correct resin to use for this project in order to achieve A) super-smooth and clear finish and B) structural integrity.

2. What should the mold/form be made of?

3. I need a good source for those modern-looking table legs or something similar since I won’t be able to fabricate them myself.

4. Any tips/tricks to working with and finishing resin to achieve the flattest, smoothest, clearest end product?

BigFrank
Casual

Re: Wood & Resin Dining Table

Postby Fleafa » Thu May 12, 2016 7:56 pm

1. I don't think anyone here has attempted such a project, but 5 minutes on Google leads me to think that epoxy resin is best for the job. Alumilite slow, I would suggest. Smooth-On also do resins for encapsulation. They (and I) suggest contacting them, though Tarbender looks like it could be good.

2. Probably timber. Ask the resin supplier.

3. Go to an industrial estate, find a metal fabricator and ask them to make some for you.

4. Probably vacuum the mixed resin, then pour slowly to allow bubbles to escape. Probably like finishing wood, work up through grades of sandpaper and then polishing compounds. Again, ask the resin supplier.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to The Waiting Room