[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Casting with glow in the dark pigment
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Casting with glow in the dark pigment

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Casting with glow in the dark pigment

Postby paradronmedic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:24 am

I wondered if I could call upon the experience of some fellow casters.
I have been dealing with all sorts of resin for a while now, mainly model making and home-ware castings on a small scale without pressure pots or turners, but after a recent commission I have hit a bit of a block.

Basically, I was commissioned to do some 3D tree castings which turned out great. To keep costs low I used PU resin to allow the recipient to spray them whatever colour they chose afterwards.
The problem I have is that now they want several ones that glow in the dark and are gold. The glow in the dark element works fine until I spray them or add colour into the resin mix.
I have gone through lots of trial and error so far; Adding gold colouring either seems to sink to the bottom or come out a very dull creamy colour or mask the glow in the dark pigment completely. Spraying them gold after casting in layers just covers the glow.
The only way that I’ve kind of got it to work is by adding a coat of clear resin mixed with the glow in the dark pigment over the gold sprayed piece. However because of the nature of the pigment it leaves a grainy yellowed look to it.

Any tips from anyone or suggestions for UK based materials that people have used would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
paradronmedic
Casual

Re: Casting with glow in the dark pigment

Postby marctech » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:10 am

gold pigment i'm assuming??

There's also gold dust which i got, haven't done much trial with it though.

I've casted some glow in the dark (GITD) stuff before, and it worked out alright but I didn't try it with heavy pigmentation.

I think you will either have to experiment with less pigment and more GITD powder, or look at using GITD paint. Problem there is the GITD paint usually has a green tint to it, or has a color to it, like white.
Here's some gold GITD powder, this may not get drowned out so easy.

I've tried the blue stuff, i was fairly disappointed. I think green is the strongest color and everything else is kinda meh.
marctech
Casual

Re: Casting with glow in the dark pigment

Postby paradronmedic » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:38 pm

Hey thanks for the reply and having me on board, I'm a bit of a forum newbie but i hope to contribute and share as much as i question :)

I was using gold pigment and also enamel metalic paint for on of my coloured trials and although it produces a cool gold colour it does mask the GITD pigment quite a lot.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. I feel that (by many searched reviews) the blue doesn't apear to be the buyers choice but green does.

Cheers
Natalie
paradronmedic
Casual

Return to The Waiting Room