ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Newbie with a question about Smooth-On Oomoo 30

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Newbie with a question about Smooth-On Oomoo 30

Postby kanohi-caster » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Hello there, Resin Addicts forum members! I've been lurking for some time, but recently I've had an issue that has spurred me to stop by and ask a question.

How common is it for Oomoo 30 to be improperly packaged or old? I recently bought a 2.8 pound kit off Amazon - like I have done about three times in the past with little issue - only to find that the pink side had hardly been sealed (seal came off very easily, didn't have much adhesive). I mixed two batches, one for a simple mold of an ice cream cone, and another for a small sculpted piece with holes and crannies in it. The first batch worked ok, it was a little thick, but the cone was a simple object, so I didn't worry about it too much. The second pour was awful. It started settling and becoming thick in less than five minutes! Absolutely un-acceptable for pouring over a small detailed object, incredibly frustrating. I think the top of the bottles were still good, and the body of them had started to go bad - at least the pink side. Oddly thick and stubborn for "new" Oomoo 30 - which in my experience usually works rather well - and flows somewhat like a pudding.

Is this an uncommon occurrence? Or should I seek out an Oomoo alternative? I've used Alumilite High Strength 3 before with great results, but it was a bit too flexible for my taste.
kanohi-caster
Casual

Return to The Waiting Room