ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Interesting Parts

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Interesting Parts

Postby paulson games » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 am

Was killing time at target today and wandered through the lego section and found a couple sets that instantly set off the mad conversion spider sense. I'd seen an interesting Tau battle suit made from a bionacle toy but wasn't sure what parts he'd used but on a whim I picked one up to see what type of frame it might provide. It's made with a number of ball joints and for $7 I figured I couldn't go wrong as witha healthy amount of styrene work it'd make for a good frame and it's also the size of a knight paladin titan. Would be great starting pint for an apoc project.

The find that was what had the conversion meter going wild was the Ben10 lego kit ($15) which is full of ball joint goodness and more importantly has some great smooth panel lines just begging for conversion work. Also what's pretty cool is while the models are significantly larger than the bionacle ones they have all the same sized balls joints and plug in slots allowing you to combine both the Ben 10 and Bionacle lines along with a bunch of the technic sets, I haven't bought a lego set in probably 15 years but these I knew were a must have for conversion experiments and I may pick up some additional parts,

The head obviously has to go, but what's important about these is the potential they have as a frame for conversions not what they currently look like, although IMO it won't take much to get the ben10 to fit right in with tau designs. He's perfect size to be slinging hammer head rail cannons under his arms. :)

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Interesting Parts

Postby drmarco » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:23 am

You're a gent for sharing this one, Paulson!

I've been toying with a titan legion imp.guard force complete with tech guard/skitarii for years now, and the addition of a few knight titans was always a direction I'd have loved to go, but could never find an inspiring starting point...until now!

Watch this space.............

Marco

So many projects, so little time...
drmarco
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:30 am

I struggle to visualise exactly how one would go about using these, so I would like to see what you have in mind Marco.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby drmarco » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Broadstroke, I'd lose the head from the initial bionicle, and possibly extend the torso and then aim to use the body/limbs as the framework for a unit of 5 or so Knights. The thing that's always constrained me previously is the limitation on posing - if I scratchbuild one, even casting as I went, the difficulty of multipart casting relevant parts for limbs etc would be very time intensive. The thing that put me off therefore was the fact that I think of knight titans as being highly mobile, with the old fluff describing them as being as nimble as the Eldar knight titans.

The variability in initial pose of the bionicle would make an excellent, already identically cast, endoskeleton to base conversions on, rather than building from scratch; it would allow me to 'pose' the knight as I saw fit, before moving on to 'dress it' with further conversion.

I'll pick a few up this weekend and post some pics as they develop!

Marco

drmarco
Casual

Postby drmarco » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:34 pm

I also just noticed that Ben 10 blue multilimbed gorilla thing is approx the same dimensions and has a VERY similar torso shape to the Eldar revenant titans from Forgeworld...

Marco

drmarco
Casual

Return to The Waiting Room