[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Look what I found
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Look what I found

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Look what I found

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Looks like Dream Forge is back at it again:

Really impressive 3D printed stuff. Will be interesting to see how much they sell for. There's more awesomeness on the rest of their blog, especially .
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Look what I found

Postby Seb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:10 am

Mmmm, I can certainly remain impressed by the technical achievement, however machines with big, familiar, anatomy inspired parts always leave me cold. I'd hope for an engineered interpretation of a human part, like machine aspiring to nature, rather than just sculpting a big skull for aesthetics sake.

Insanely detail I must say.

- Seb
Seb

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:29 am

That's a very interesting comment Seb and I am inclined to agree - the cult mechanicus are all about shedding flesh for machine, so why design the other way around? But then again perhaps it's an IP thing not getting too close to the true AM style?
mangozac

Postby Seb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:41 pm

True, more likely an IP thing. But honestly, how can you legally cover "Giant Walking Gothic Robots" in all their infinite variety? (not suggesting there is much infinity going on at DreamForge)

Still, solid work but I feel more could be done.

Take the Walker you created Zac, there is a lineage in the styling but you took it in new directions within the greater realm of Mecha and Anime robotics. It is easily associated with lines from GW because their lines themselves are inspired by the same genre.

- Seb.
Seb

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:26 pm

More people pick up the tachikoma/GitS influence than anything else when they see the SAW. Perhaps I should be more worried about Masamune Shirow's lawyers coming knocking :P

Hopefully my mecha design will provide the same kind of design aesthetic - taking its design cues from anime but giving them a definite Tau-esque feel. I know I certainly want to branch out a little more this time with some of the design aesthetics, especially with things like some completely new weapon designs - the standard Tau railgun is actually quite a boring looking weapon...
mangozac

Return to The Waiting Room