[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - SSB's General Log
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

SSB's General Log

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

SSB's General Log

Postby SSB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi guys,
here I will post about general stuff. All new things I buy, any technique I'm trying etc...

Let's get Started... !

My metal foundry experiments !

First, my equipment !

Some mixing pots

Some siringues, for a precise dosage

I bought high temperature RTV139 silicone from "Esprit Composite"
Full image

A Prince August Kit Ladle, talc and clamps
Full image

I also had a mini camping gaz heater for the metal.

I did build mold boxes out of cardboard (I don't have legos yet !)

First I tried to mold some conversions of existing miniatures.

I melted garbage miniatures to get the metal I needed !
As I didn't have any clue on "how to do it" I made several mistakes. Resulting in some problems !

(I'll just post the mold, erase the photos if it seems too much identifiable !)

So I identified some problems I thinks can be solved easily : next time I'll :
- pour the silicone of the mold in an angle so it doesn't give so much bubbles.
- put some release agent before I do the second part of the mold (I had to tear it in two pieces afterwards ! Hense the "multipart mold ^^)
- I won't heat the metal so much it changes color... ^^

The result is quite good but has some quirks. I won't post it because it might create IP problems.

For the "too much heat", I bought a LEE PRECISION MELTER
Full image

As you can see, the international version of the melter does not include a plug. So I have to buy a 500W plug. I am also going to include a switch to make it easier to use.

and a LEE LADDLE
Full image

My few questions :
- I have a problem cleaning the laddle. How do you do that ? I becomes very dirty with metal residues.
- Can you do metal casting in a pressure pot ? Will it increase the quality of the casting ?

Anything else ?

I'll post the next stages in a near future
Last edited by SSB on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse !
SSB
User

Re: SSB's General Log

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:53 am

It sounds like you're certainly learning a few lessons! You will have to mould some less contentious items so that you can show us the results ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby SSB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 am

I just received the pressure pot !

It was composed of these items:

The pressure pot

Here a separate view of the inside of the cover
ImageImage

A Gauge (seems broken...)

A Paint Pistol

2 cords
ImageImage

2 manuals
ImageImage

Some Tools

What I have to do yo transform it into a perfect "casting station" :
- I supose I will have to get the tube on the inside of the pressure pot cover out of the pot to have more space inside the pressure pot
- I have to replace the defective gauge
- I have to have one entry for the compressed air and one entry with a tap to put the pot out of pressure.
- Buy a security valve that withstands 60 PSI (around 4 Bars I think)

Is that it ? I am missing something ?
SSB
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:09 am

Yep that looks exactly the same as what everyone else uses ;)

I assume you're read my ? You may not have to get a higher pressure safety valve - it should be marked on the one you have what pressure it operates at. Yes, you do need to remove the siphon tube from the inside of the lid. I put mine in a vice and unscrewed it, but others just cut it off with a hacksaw.

Are you planning to do vacuum as well as pressure, or just pressure?
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:09 am

Fairly nice rig SSB!! And I saw your casts ant they looked successful!!!

for the overheating I would invest in a high temp thermometer, and remember If your "peacocking" your too hot!!! 8-)
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby SSB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:29 am

Last edited by SSB on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
SSB
User

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:46 am

Yeah easiest thing is just to try out the pressure valve. Hook the tank up to the compressor and keep increasing the pressure (from the regulator on the compressor) until the safety valve pops. I'd say it will be set to around 40PSI - you'll want more than that (about 60).

Vacuum isn't necessary and a bit of added expense and complexity in the setup. It does however allow you to be a little more liberal with the placement of air vents and resin inlets. For only making moulds pressure is fine.

Look out for an infrared thermometer. That's what a friend of mine uses for casting aluminium.
mangozac

Postby SSB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:54 am

I am going to buy an AIR COMPRESSOR...

I hesitate between :

and

What do you think ?
Too much ? Not enough ?
SSB
User

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 am

Definitely the first one - ou need a decent sized tank so that you can fill the pressure pot without waiting for the pump.
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby SSB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:27 am

SSB
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:18 am

mangozac

Postby blind pig » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:07 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby SSB » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Sorry, I move a lot lately. I'll answer as soon as I am home...
Thank you very much for your enlightment !
SSB
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:17 am

mangozac

Next

Return to The Waiting Room