[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - SSB's General Log
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

SSB's General Log

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Re: SSB's General Log

Postby SSB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:37 am

Ok. I'll rectify that next time I do a mold with text... :)
Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse !
SSB
User

Postby SSB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 am

My last mold !

I do have questions about the plastiline. (the beige clay I use to fill between the minis)
I really don't like the non flat result I get with plastiline.
It is really not perfect !

I would add that it sticks to the detail of the miniature molded.
And it is painfull to get it of it.

How do you all proceed to get the best surface ?
Do you all use plastiline ? Do you use something different ?
Ares there other techniques to get a 2 side mold ?
Last edited by SSB on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SSB
User

Postby Lane » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:00 pm

I wouldn't worry about the texture of areas that do not contact the part.

IIRC you can use a soft paint brush and alcohol to smooth out the clay. Mainly used at the parting line and to clean excess clay from the part.

If you place the freezer for a bit it firms up the clay and is much easier to pull off the part.
Lane
Habit

Postby Hiflt4 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:32 pm

I usually heat plasticine till its liquid and pour it in with the Flow chamber allready set inside. Then when its cooled but still maullable I press in the parts I am planning to cast. Produces a very nice smooth surface. Be sure to put a layer of it down before hand and pop it in the freezer for 5-10 min before you pour tho or else your lego baseplate will warp from the heat.
Hiflt4
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:47 am

The texture of the clay shouldn't be a big issue (and in fact I wonder if it would actually help with alignment) but you could just smooth it out with sculpting tools. However I think this is the long way to do it - have you considered doing a ? It would be much quicker and easier! I can't remember the last time I "clayed up a part" (although I do still use the plasticine on the bottom of my moulds).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby SSB » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:13 am

Some images of the final stages of production !

Cast in metal

Painted !
SSB
User

Postby mangozac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:09 am

Excellent work SSB! I didn't realise this was all Blood Bowl related!
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:27 pm

They look great!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby SSB » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:42 am

Yep !
My action is dedicated to Blood Bowl... :)

I'll show you the rest of the trophies I have created... Soon !
SSB
User

Postby SSB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:31 am

The vulcanized mold I made for the trophies

SSB
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Wow! Very cool! How many do you produce?
mangozac

Postby SSB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:26 pm

I need to produce 15 per year (not much... ^^). So I can 'spin' the mould once and I get what I need.

With that mould I will probably be able to do 300 spins. So more than what will be necessary for 3 lifetimes ! :)

The 'spinner' I am studiyng at is going to show me how to use the machines and molds to 'spin' resin... So I'll use my metal casting moulds to produce resin ! :D
SSB
User

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Awesome!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:21 pm

SSB could you possibly give a tutorial on how you made the vulcanized mold. Is it made from silicon?

Your work is inspiring!

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby SSB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Ok !
I'll do that.

Give me some time : Let me do some photos of the process to illustrate how it is done...

And Yes, it is made from silicone.
I had a discussion on the matter. So I am goind to check precisely.
It is a silicone that vucanises at 180°C (there is one that does at 90°C for molding resin masters)
SSB
User

PreviousNext

Return to The Waiting Room