[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Improving Resin Addict
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Improving Resin Addict

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Improving Resin Addict

Postby mangozac » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi guys,

I was looking at the forum stats, noting particularly that we now have 190 members, but can't help wondering why we only generally have around a dozen active members at a time. I run this website primarily as a go-to resource for wargamers and model builders who want to know about casting, but I'd also like to see the forum grow with aspiring and talented modellers alike sharing projects and discussing techniques.

So I put this question to you all: how can I improve Resin Addict?

Don't get me wrong; I have no delusions of grandeur and am certainly not out to create some kind of monster forum. I would just like to see the great fledgling community we have grow a bit more so we have a larger volume of conversations going on.

Any suggestions?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Improving Resin Addict

Postby factor40 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:53 am

I've been thinking about this and you might want to put together a few graphics that people can download and post with a link on their blogs. I'd be happy to post links/graphics on my 2 blogs. Also, check out . Maybe you could add your blog to his blog list. Tons of people go through those everyday.

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Not a bad suggestion. What does being a member of FTW entail? Reading gave me the impression I would have to be devoting more time to it than I would like.

What's the story with link graphics? Is there any kind of standard format for them that you know of?

I've always struggled with the concept of operating a blog alongside the forum. Should there be separate content on each? Should I duplicate posts on each? I find concentrating on one causes the other neglect.
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby factor40 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:10 pm

There isn't any real commitment to the FTW group. It might not be the perfect fit as you are primarily doing the forum, not the blog. It would certainly raise some awareness of RA although it might not net many new people. I haven't made a new post on my for 6 months and I still get about 15-20 hits a day. Most of that traffic is from people sifting through all the blog lists on FTW.

As for the graphics, I just meant a small "avatarish"size graphic, like the symbol up on the top of the page, that I can post along the side of my blog to display it. I can link to the forum from it and people will hopefully check it out. Munk's comments are true as well. This is a specialized forum so I think you shouldn't really expect a ton of active members.

EDIT: I've added a graphic/link on my hobby blog as well as Madrobotminiatures.com. I also posted a little splash about RA. Little things like that should help get some more people interested. I kinda like the underground feel of RA; I found it after some extensive searches for casting info and I feel like I found a small diamond in the rough. How's that for warm and fuzzy? LOL :P

factor40
Habit

Postby Lane » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:00 am

I kind of like RA as it is.

Members adding a link on their personal blogs would help get more traffic but it sounds like you want more quality content. For that you need people with skills or the desire to develop those skills.

I think better word of mouth advertising or active recruitment would improve RA. We need to keep an eye out for people that have similar interests, modeling or painting skills and the willingness to share their knowledge. It may also be worth inviting some of the secondary manufacturers like Secret Weapon and Scibor. I'm sure all of us would like to get an insight on how they sculpt and produce minis.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:58 am

mangozac

Postby Seb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:34 am

Having been a part of several forums over the years since the late nineties, one thing I'm pretty sure on is the amount of users is an organic thing.

You get your early posters, a committed core who generally develop the look and feel of the content, which then attracts those interested. The user base expands and then you reach a threshold where enough people know of the site, and talk about it. That's when you get hit with a wave of new users. We went from 1000 upward to 2000 in a matter of weeks on ATT for example.

If everyone here, with personal hobby blogs, put the word out, you should see more than a few new faces inside of a month. Getting the word out is invariably the best method for speeding along the process and most folks including yourself have already mentioned this approach.

Naturally, increased numbers encourages a higher chance of annoying members. However I think the subject matter tends to self-police this issue. Working with resin is not a cheap pursuit let alone something anyone can just bungle into without preparation.

I for one refuse to use Google Adwords or banner exchanges. It messes with my layouts and doesn't give me the opportunity to theme a site. Secondly, it seems I've sold out for a pittance in return. Lastly, if my peers liked my work, they would link anyway, regardless. (And vice versa)

Graphics wise, I need to wrap up the emoticons. Put that on my to-do this week :)

- Seb.
Seb

Return to The Waiting Room