[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vacuum Pump - connection issue
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vacuum Pump - connection issue

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Vacuum Pump - connection issue

Postby josh76 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi All

This is a bit of a cry for help - hopefully its not a really easy question!

I recently bought a vacuum pump off ebay, however I am having some trouble locating the part I need to convert the 1/4 SAE fitting on the vacuum pump to an 1/4 or 3/8 NPT/BSP that is on the hose I have.

I'm not really sure if it's an adapter I need, or an actual hose that has SAE on one end and NPT on the other? Or where you would locate either, I've spent a fair bit of time searching google but so far no luck finding what I think I need.

Any help/insight anyone could provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Josh
josh76
Casual

Re: Vacuum Pump - connection issue

Postby Lane » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:26 pm

I had a hose made at an HVAC shop.

You could probably make your own. The SAE is a flare fitting so you would need the flare tool, the fittings and a bit of copper tubing to run between them. There may also be adapter fittings available but sunce you are not in the US I have no idea who would carry them. Search for an industrial/ equipment supply company.
Lane
Habit

Postby Hatemonger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 am

I would start by taking the parts into whatever local hardware/DIY store you have, and asking for help. Here in the US, I've been to a Home Depot and Lowe's (big box home centers) and an Ace (national chain, but local franchisees), and they all had a comprehensive selection of adapters and fittings.

Just make sure you bring the actual parts, even if you have to bring the whole machine! Don't mess around with "oh, I'm sure I'll remember what I need". ;)

- H8
Hatemonger
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:24 am

Hatemonger's advice is good, but since these are air fittings (not plumbing fittings) I don't think you'd be too likely to find them down at Bunnings. I got my safety valve and some other parts from , I suppose you just need to look for something similar. Look up air fittings in the Yellow Pages.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Hatemonger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:34 am

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought they had them all together. I'm talking about displays with what must have been a couple hundred different pieces. I know they had things like 1/8" or 1/4" hose barbs on NPT or flare fittings, male or female. I fully admit to getting lost in the dizzying array of parts, hence the advice to bring them with you. You just say, "I want something to go on this bit, then attach to a hose at least ten feet long, then fit into this hole over here."

At the very least, it wouldn't hurt to try. Worst case, you get some funny looks from the hardware guy, and honestly who hasn't had THAT happen because of our crazy hobbies?

- H8
Hatemonger
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:25 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to The Waiting Room