[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - New to the forums
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

New to the forums

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

New to the forums

Postby BlackCatStudios » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 am

Hello all, I found this site through DakkaDakka (I think). I started casting using alumilite in the early 2000s, then I upgraded to white metal using heat vulcanizing molds a few years later. I wish I had a site like this when I was beginning. I have just recently got back into casting and have been exploring the new to me resins and RTV silicone on the market now. I look forward to picking your collective minds for techniques and suggestions.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Re: New to the forums

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Welcome Black cat.... This is a very nice community.

Black Cat...... Black CAT......BLACK Cat..... Didn't you have some bases and other resin goodies Say 4-5 years ago??? Your name sounde VERY Familiar..... :ugeek:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Welcome aboard Black Cat! Now with an introduction like that you can't expect us to believe that you don't have any pictures to share... ;)

I hope you can learn some stuff from us here, and perhaps us from you!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby BlackCatStudios » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:44 am

I can't post photos b/c of IP issues. Lets say I was casting up spare "space elf walkers" in resin and "space elf snipers" in metal that might have been eerily similar to a product line known for being grossly expensive. I never sold anything that I made, and I have not done bases yet. I have and established eBay id that is Blackcat_studios been around since 03, I used to sell collectible minis (D&D) and other gaming items from my wife's store. I want to start making resin scenery and upgrade kits for some of my GW addictions.

I used to get my white metal casting gear from miniaturemoldsdotcom and I can get alumilte nearly anywhere. What I have looking into is silicon and resins from smooth on, most folks I have talked to seem to say that those are great and tend to be self degassing. I do have a vacuum chamber and vac pump but no pressure pot or quality compressor yet.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Aha fair enough ;)

You should be able to attain pretty decent results using just the vac system - so long as it does pull a decent vacuum fast enough. I only do pressure after my vacuum stage because I know my vac pump isn't the greatest.

What kind of scenery and bits do you have in mind? Any WIP pics?
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Welcome abord :) I'll look forward to seeing pics that you can post ;)
paulson games

Postby factor40 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:57 am

Welcome! Resin casters who know what they're doing seem to be a rare and elusive breed these days. I also look forward to seeing your work.

factor40
Habit

Postby BlackCatStudios » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:29 am

Well now that I have seen the blades and whips on Paulsongames site, my side project is shot. My other endeavor is going to be an alien hive. Think along the lines of a imperial bastion for tyranids. I plan on it being a hexagon of similar size. I am envisioning scuplting one side panel that can be used for all six sides and a topper to hole it all together. I like the alien walls that Dark Arts produces but i think that I will also sculpt my own once the tower is finished. But now that I see what can be done with 3D rendering I keep wondering if that wont be a better way to jump start both projects.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:21 am

mangozac

Return to The Waiting Room