[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Inspiration: AMAZING diorama work
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Inspiration: AMAZING diorama work

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Inspiration: AMAZING diorama work

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 pm

This link got posted over on WAU and after spending a couple of hours reading through the thread I just had to share here:
Extremely inspirational stuff! Now I have the urge to pull out my SAW and finish off that vignette...

But I've got too many other projects on the go.... :(
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Inspiration: AMAZING diorama work

Postby Fleafa » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:36 pm

That is amazing...

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 am

Man that is some seriously nice work. Only way it'd get much more realistic is if you had a hair dryer pointed at your eye balls to replicate the abysmal heat.

Looks amazingly good and this is not a knock in the slightest to his skill but there's just no possible way to convey the overwhelming sense of dust and dryness of being there first hand. Absolutely incredible work on every aspect of that diroma.
paulson games

Postby Seb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:39 am

Pretty much as per the above comments. I am however taking away that very clever crushed road technique.

Be brilliant for urban table layout :D

- Seb
Seb

Postby mangozac » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:08 am

mangozac

Postby Deadmeat30 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:06 am

Having served in Iraq, i can say that is truely amazing!!!

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby paulson games » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:59 am

I noticed something that isn't quite right, not the moddeling but in terms of the context. The shot up building has furniture laying about. The second the firing stops Iraqis will swarm over the conflict areas and strip them to bare dirt. If a building is wasted it will be gutted of any contents within minutes.

I've seen looting going on where guys were running into a burning building to grab stuff and at first I thought they were trying to save the stuff for the owner but no once they were out of the building with their loot they disappeared with it. They are willing to risk their lives over stuff that we'd not even find fit to throw out.

While a more rare occurance sometimes they will even risk live fire to loot, I once saw a dude run through the middle of a fire fight to grab a cardboard box full of vegtables from a vendors cart. That's a pretty tall order for some groceries.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 am

Wow. We really have no idea what it's like over there :?

I wouldn't be surprised if the modeller knew about that but chose to ignore it for artistic license. His attention to detail is fantastic and when you read a lot of the thread you can tell that he put a lot of thought into realism.
mangozac

Postby Seb » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:30 am

I've seen a few videos by lads on the ground over there, not surprised at all by Paulson's account. Reminds me of Boxing Day sales here in Australia. The women go a new kind of loco.

Perhaps they should send some diggers into Myers during seasonal sales to get mob training?

- Seb
Seb

Postby paulson games » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:25 pm

We have some craziness in the sates for black friday sales which is the day after thanksgiving, retailers have insanely discounted items to lure customers in and it creates a frenzied madness I thought was reserved exclusively for UK soccer game hooliganry.

There was a new article I think it was two years back at this point where a store employee at a walmart got trampled to death by shoppers when he opened the door to let them in, the people were in such a panicked rush they bowled him over and he got crushed to death under foot when some 2,000 people came pouring in like crazed cattle. Really shameful behavior.

Edit:
Found the article from 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/busin ... wanted=all

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiFnDTAt0IE
paulson games

Postby Lane » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:36 am

The ironic thing about the Black Friday sales, and the mobs they create, is how few of the big discount items there are.

Had a friend working at a big chain retail store and according to him the big sale items are gone in the first 50-100 customers. For example the store (chain) advertised a big screen TV at almost 50% off, while supplies last. My friend said his store had two at that price and sold within five minutes of opening.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:10 am

It's amazing what a shortage of money does to some people.
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:45 am

I think it is less the shortage of money and more their greed.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:30 pm

I think stupidity and disreguard for others is the underlying factor.

While in this case greed was a major factor, this stuff does sadly happen at soccer games, concerts and other places where big crowds are present and there's nothing of value at stake. All it takes is a bunch of people deciding they are more important than everyone else and start crowding together and pushing.

Cows are incredibly dumb and stapeedes are always a threat with them.
paulson games

Postby Seb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Seb

Next

Return to The Waiting Room