[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Inspiration: AMAZING diorama work
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Inspiration: AMAZING diorama work

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Inspiration: AMAZING diorama work

Postby mangozac » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Seb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:50 pm

I meant that at what point, do you as a hobbyist think, that'll do for a table top piece of scenery?

The gorgeous diorama was used as an example for comparison. How something amazing really makes the average gaming miniature seem ridiculous if used on such a piece of scenery.

Personally I get as "realistic" as the models I intend to use on it. Stopping at suitable abstractions. :)
Seb

Postby paulson games » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 pm

I get what you are saying, basically it'd be a clash of styles.

The diorama is a masterwork of displaying realism, GW stuff... well that's like placing cartoon character on the table.

No matter how well or realistically painted Marines would never mesh because of distorted proportions.

I think that wargaming stuff (reguardless of line) needs terrain built with the game in mind, so that it's not realistic, but styled so it feels like it belongs with the minis.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Ahh I'm with you know.

I think it's horses for courses. From what I have read the driving force behind military modelling is realism. Military modellers often go to great lengths to ensure authenticity of what they are modelling (I'd be too lazy for that) and in competitions that is part of what they are judged on.

I believe good sci fi modelling requires a high degree of plausibility (the closest thing to realism in a fictional setting), but only following a good dose of coolness factor. Yes, that gun is far too big for the tank it's mounted on, but doesn't it look awesome?

Scenery for wargaming by its very nature is much simpler than for a diorama. For example dioramas don't need space for 25mm bases to fit! While I wholeheartedly support the concept of highly detailed wargaming terrain, ultimately I don't think anybody has the time or effort to produce it. Try to visualise the amount of research, modelling, building and rebuilding, and money that went into this diorama - that was for a piece around 850x350mm in size. Now imagine having to do that for a standard 6'x4' wargaming table. I just did the sums and it's about 7.5 times the area! :!:

I think the ridiculousness of a Space Marine in the above diorama would be due simply to the heroic proportions of the mini itself. A proper 1:35 (or is the diorama 1:48?) scale marine painted and weathered properly could look right at home if other appropriate sci fi elements were introduced.

Personally I'm sure the plausibility in my (90% WIP) diorama/vignette work is pretty poor, but it's something I hope to work on. It seems that plausibility is brought about by an extreme level of detail, which was something I was trying to create with those Tau pouches and gear I made.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Previous

Return to The Waiting Room