[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - GW vs Pirate Bay
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

GW vs Pirate Bay

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

GW vs Pirate Bay

Postby paulson games » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Epic win ahoy! Pirates vs Brits.

Arrgh matey, batten down the hatches there be suing ahead!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... d-printing

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01 ... 31061.html

This is apprently a print of the pirated dread in question, or would that be dreaded pirate? Arrrgh!

paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: GW vs Pirate Bay

Postby blind pig » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:33 pm

And so it begins......
blind pig
Junkie

Postby wormwood » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:30 am

While it's similar to a GW Spacemarine dread, it's not any more similar than GW's scults are to the IP they ripped off.

I really hope someone successfully makes that case, and spanks GW good. Essentially to offer to let them have their way in the current case, but only if they admit guilt and pay tens of millions in damages to the Giger estate and various Anime producers. Failiure to agree to these terms would lead to a cease and desist order for similar legal harassment of small model makers.
wormwood
Casual

Postby Anvils Hammer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby wormwood » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:34 am

wormwood
Casual

Postby Anvils Hammer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 am

Ok I stand corrected..

I thought "wow thats a great detail level."

then I saw the background and realised it was someones fingers..

What machine is that printed on? I need access to it in the UK!!
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:09 am

Contact .

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Anvils Hammer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks!

Ive emailed them.

Ill get a test print done to see what its like.

The idea of paying £50 for a single master part, then melting it.. worries me somewhat.. but I guess its what the professionals do..

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:41 am

Wow that is stunning! I've often been told that wax masters are the way to go - this proves it.

50 quid for a print of something at that high a quality is nothing!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 pm

A lot of jewelry makers are using printers that use wax instead of the abs style plastic. The primary advantage is they can get much smoother layering even though the layer thicknesses are comperable. (16 microns) The downside is that for resin casting they might not hold up under pressure, so it likely requires it being made as an investment casting ie lost wax used for a metal master.

I'd posted these guys a while back in some thread I'm sure is long buried as I found them about two years back. http://www.ninjamagic.com/cgi-bin/gt/tpl.h,content=1&

A secondary difficultly with a lot of the wax printers is that their programs cannot handle multiple objects where printers like shapeways and moddler can. That greatly impacts the build time for the CAD model. Multi-part models are much faster to make.

Print-a-part likewise offers simular resolution for their abs prints but they are fairly expesive and require single meshes which is why I've passed on them previously. If I can get a program that handles boolean functions better than Maya does then I can make use of those services.

If I ever win the lottery I will have one of these companies cast all my battletech CAD models in gold and have their laser barrels fitted with diamond studs so I can play with ultimate bling. :mrgreen:
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Ugh, boolean. The one-step method to invalid surfaces, removed edges and redundant vertices!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby wormwood » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 am

wormwood
Casual

Postby paulson games » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:22 am

Some programs handle the boolean function fairly poorly, maya can do it with simple shapes but typiclaly applying it to any sort of complex object it ceases to work.

I've heard rhino's boolean function is vastly superior. A number of printing companies have advanced software like 3D magic which allows them to fuse a large number of items at once. Although from what I understand it's a $5k program. I'm sure the majority of companies could accept multipart models, it just takes time to fix them as you have to do it 2 parts at a time, they are probably wanting to avoid the extra work.
paulson games

Return to The Waiting Room