[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Masters for remolding
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Masters for remolding

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Masters for remolding

Postby wormwood » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:37 am

I think that it'd be a really good idea to save the first resin cast from each mold, for the purposes of making more molds later. This would enable you to make subsequent production runs, rather than being limited by the service life of the original mold.
wormwood
Casual

Re: Masters for remolding

Postby mangozac » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:28 am

I think most of us already do this. In fact some make special resin "mould plates" that are negatives of a two-part mould so that making new moulds is simply a matter of pouring silicone into the mould plate.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 am

Zac, could you elaborate on the mould plate concept please?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:04 am

We discussed it a bit in . And . I personally don't do it but I know Paulson uses the technique.
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:35 am

Oops, did a Google search but didn't think to search the forums! DOH!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:30 am

I always save the second or third casting from a new mould of a new item. By the second or third pour, you should have worked out all the bugs and bubbles in a new mould.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Anvils Hammer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:34 pm

I was using mold plates.. but now that Ive started using split molds I cant see myself ever using a 2 part mold again! Split molds are just so much better..

My Procedure at the moment for mass production-

get a few different parts, make a mold, make 5 copies of each part.

Take all 5 copies of one part and put them on a sprue, from this, make a "master" mold.

Whole sprues from the master mold are then used to make production molds, with however many sprues I need depending on anticipated part volume.

The "master" mold will make at least 20 perfect copies, so if I get 30 pulls from each production mold, I can make three thousand parts before I need to re make the master mold!

The original 5 master parts go in a bag in my "master drawer" for future use!

I measured, and the "2nd generation" resin parts are only a fraction of 1% smaller.. I think the shrinkage is a lot less with smaller parts- less exotherm..

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby geomod » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:47 am

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Amen to the split mould.

Like Anvil's hammer, I'm a recent convert, but I don't see me making two part moulds again any time soon.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
geomod
User

Postby factor40 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:01 am

To Geo or Anvil: If you have the time, a few pics of how you cut those split molds would be greatly appreciated.

factor40
Habit

Postby Anvils Hammer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:02 am

sure I can do.. but err.. it would just be a photo of me holding a razor blade stuck into a cube of rubber..

so youve got your sprue with parts, attached to a lump of plasticine which is going to be the pour channel, you pour silicone over teh top.

you then have a block of silicone with a bit of plasticine on the top.. pull out the plasticine, snap the sprue bar away from the masters and remove it..

you then have a block of silicone with a trench, and at the bottom, a load of small white/grey/green rods/parts..

Using a surgical scalpel, cut down to the parts and between then, trying to avoid excessive damage. when youve cut enough, you can remove the parts, you're done!

Pulling the two halves apart while you cut make it a million times easier!

I figured it out by trial an error.. I think Mango already posted some photos of split molds?

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby factor40 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:27 am

I guess I'm thinking the cutting is more difficult than it is. I'm curious how people approach it. No biggie.

factor40
Habit

Postby Anvils Hammer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:34 am

take your time, use a VERY sharp blade, and pull the mold apart, think about cutting from various angles to get into any undercuts.

Its not difficult, just dont rush it!

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:46 am

My tip: use a fresh blade. And ply apart the two halves of the mould as you do it so that as son as you touch the knife to the rubber it splits.

Apparently some of the platinum (addition) curing silicones can be fairly hard to cut (Jon found this with the stuff from TAP Plastics IIRC).
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:18 pm

buy some #11 scalpel blades and use them carefully!

the silicone does contain silica and will dull any blades really quickly.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Anvils Hammer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 am

I find that..

Luckily before I started Anvil, I played around with making some bar fruit slicers, left over from that project I have about 300 industrial quality razor blades! they are awesome!!

Ill be gutted when they run out as another box will be £50!

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Next

Return to The Waiting Room