ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Masters for remolding

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Masters for remolding

Postby wormwood » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:20 am

I had a microbiologist friend who worked at the Ames research center for NASA back in the 70's. They had to disect mouse eyes for some reason, and metal scalpels weren't sharp enough for the job. Eventually they resorted to factured glass for their blades. I'm not sure how well it'd work on mold material, but it might be worth a shot, and broken glass is cheap.
wormwood
Casual

Postby blind pig » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 am

Sound like a silly idea for cutting up moulds when scalpel blades are a few cents each, easy to get and use.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Lane » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:05 am

Twenty plus years ago there was an Anthropologist who needed open heart surgery. He made a set of flint (or maybe)obsidian) scalpels for the surgeon to use. The doctor liked them so much he traded kept the blades as payment, but patient had to pay the hospital expenses.

For mold making a scalpel or good hobby knife is just as good and a lot safer than broken glass.
Lane
Habit

Postby blind pig » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:40 pm

I use to scrub for an orthopaedic surgeon who would buy all his instruments from the hardware store, get them sterilized, then throw them away after the operation was done.

He used to say the steel was better than the hospital ones that are resharpened after each use and had NO chance of passing on CJD.
blind pig
Junkie

Previous

Return to The Waiting Room