[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - New to the house with a question to ask!!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

New to the house with a question to ask!!

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

New to the house with a question to ask!!

Postby Robson315 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:10 am

Hey guys!

Let me introduce myself ^^ My name is Robson and I'm from Malta. I used to play Warhammer Fantasy and currently building a Bloodbowl team. Hoping to start 40k when 6th comes out.

I've been interested in creating my own stuff for quite a while now and I've started making my own base range for my own army. So far so good I managed to make 2 molds; one out of latex and another from silicone.

This is where my question comes: I'm using this pink resin which I've bought from a local shop. There's no information on the bottle whatsoever but for the price I expected as much. With the pink resin I mix granite powder and hardener. The pieces come out fine but they remain a bit sticky. Any reason why this happens and how I can fix it?

Robson315
Casual

Re: New to the house with a question to ask!!

Postby Fleafa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:42 am

What ratio are the resin parts mixed in?
If not 1:1, then I guess you may be using a polyester (PE) resin not polyurethane (PU). With some PE resins, they remain sticky because they are designed for laminating in boat building. A wax in styrene solution can be added to minimise this but, to be honest, I'd just buy another PU resin.
I got this problem with my clear PE resin, which is 100:1 ratio of resin to hardener, because I was using condensation cure RTV silicone (tin based) for the mould, not addition cure RTV (platinum based).

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 am

Yeah for miniatures work polyurethane (PU) is really the only option. You say there was no information at all - did the resin even have mix ratios written on it? If the two containers it comes in are different sizes then it's likely not PU. I think you'll save a lot of aggravation by tracking down a more suitable (and documented!) resin...

Why are you using the granite powder?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Robson315 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 am

I mix the granite powder with the resin to achieve a chalky look. To be honest, I bought this stuff from maybe the best shop available here.
Robson315
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:11 am

So do you know what the correct mix ratio is supposed to be?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:13 am

Could you answer what ratio you are using?
Does the container have absolutely nothing written on it? (This would scare me!)

Without more information, it is very difficult to offer any more help than we have already.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:55 am

Latex moulds also make normally good curing Polyester Resin sticky for some reason.

I think I'd be looking abroad on the internet for some PU and silicone mould making kits.
blind pig
Junkie

Return to The Waiting Room