[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Adepticon 2012
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Adepticon 2012

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Adepticon 2012

Postby paulson games » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:16 am

Over the last two days I've been running my demo events for Robotech which have been a blast but also extremely exhusting.

They've been in the evening and my day yesterday was completely tied up doing the prep work, so I didn't see much outside the demo area. Earlier today I went to the con for about two hours to wander around the main gaming hall and dealer area for a bit of me time. The Crystal brush event is underway and there are some seriously impressive entries.

The 70mm Mohawk Tribe Warrior is my personal favorite and the one I hope wins. The detail is just stunning and I can't stop gushing over how much I like it. Despite the weird lighting that is back lighting everything I was able to take some half decent pictures but, it's so much more mindblowing in person as the color transistion is just incredibly smooth. I also like the natural look of the piece which boldly stuck out in a mostly sci fi competition, plus I love Native American stuff paticuarly the lake nation tribes.

I'm not sure who painted it as the judging is done blind, but whoever did this nailed it out of the park IMO.

There's pics of other entries and random stuff in my photo bucket gallery. I'll be snapping more later when I go back this evening.

Last edited by paulson games on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Adepticon 2012

Postby factor40 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:40 am

Awesome...just awesome.

factor40
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 am

Musculature on the abdomen is a bit off, but it doesn't take much away from this being an awesome paint job.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:51 am

holy....... that it jst amazing.. nice job Ian!

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby paulson games » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 am

For those of you who might be wondering what 1,500 nerdy guys in one room looks like.....

A scene so wide it needs 4 photos to properly pan the view from the main door. :mrgreen:

More pics from the event.

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... %20pt%202/

Yesterday was the last of the three demo days for Robotech. It got a lot of really positive attention which felt quite rewarding. I spent a ton of last minute prep time and was barely holding on but I had such a balst doing it.

I sold a bunch of old models and sprues at bitz trading, but my collection was a bit sparse as I pretty much dumped all the choice models last year, so what I had left over didn't offer much. I managed to wrangle about $300 for my used stuff which under the rule of "found money" is required to be squandered, rather than be put to responsible uses.

I blew most of it on FW stuff, I'd initally wanted to skip buying anything at the con but that money was burning a hole right through my pocket so it was either FW or some of the new Dust Tactics stuff as they just released a table top rules set, uses the same minis but gives it table rules taking it off the grid board.

FW managed to win out as I can get Dust locally, but the chance to get FW and be able to inspect the pieces prior to purchase was a mighty lure. Over the last 10 or so years my suits have gotten a bit beat up and ragged with age, their trip to Iraq certainly didn't help as it ruined some of the parts that no amount of hot water and green stuff could fix. The thirst for Tau hotness rose up and I picked up a set of stealth drone fighters and copy of each of the xv-8 variants. (I already have a squad of xv-9s)

I was somewhat dubious about getting new stuff as a lot of my old models were good but had been over sprayed with release making them extra slick and every slightly melty in appearance even when they were new. Plus with all the fail cast crap going on I've certainly through in the towel with GW cast resin. (went through 6 boxes of wracks to get one unit, wtf!) The pieces I picked up Adepticon were nothing short of amazing, it's easily the best casting work I've seen from FW.

It's not a case of being a fan boy, or just excited over a new purchase, the casting work on them is simply amazing compared to everything else I've owned by FW (and that's quite a bit) I don't know what they changed but they definately stepped up their quality on this batch. Maybe it's new molds, or just better trained employees, but the casts were just awesome and even with my experienced eye there are a few parts where I can't find any noticible part lines, it that freaky good. I have my distaste for GW corperate, but whoever did this batch of Tau needs a promotion as it's simply the cleanest casting work I've seen period.

I've previopusly held off buying the stealth drone fighters as I thought they were rather expensive, but I'd assumed they were about the size of regular gun drones, but they are actually pretty large and I wish I'd known that sooner. Very happy I finally picked some up.

Seeing everyone playing entirely painted armies gets the gamer blood boiling and I've decided that I want to participate in next year's tourney and I'm going to resurrect my Tau list for it. It'll look awesome on the table even if it's the worst performing list out there I want the army to look hot on the table. (and I'll probably be one of the only Tau players there) Who knows maybe they'll update them in time for next year? (although I doubt it)
Last edited by paulson games on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
paulson games

Postby paulson games » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 am

Some more pro-level painting sweetness by incredible painters who aren't me:

This one I really like, it's hard to tell in these pics but Luke is painted to represent his Dagobah confrontation with the dark side, one half is light while the other is shadowed in the darkside.

paulson games

Postby paulson games » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:05 pm

Besides the great looking armies, one of the things that makes Adepticon such a cool visual feast is the terrain. I didn't grab tons of shots of the terrain itself, but here's a couple of the new terrain types they added this year.

There's always individual tables at gamesday or other cons that surpass these, however this is the standard quality of the terrain they are providing... on 400 tables!!!

paulson games

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:46 pm

WHOA!!! sweet stuff man!! I missed adepticon but plan to make it to GenCon... If anyone is interested in hooking up....
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Seb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Massive event indeed :D

The figure painting is quite remarkable, but personally, it strikes me as copying graphic comic technique onto a 3D surface, I almost feel like I'm reading a marvel comic with 3D glasses on.

Either way, impressive skill being shown off for certain. Thanks for the photos and run down! :)
Seb

Postby mangozac » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby paulson games » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:26 am

The main room does get a bit intense, lots of heat and noise. Doesn''t smell nearly as bad as Gen Con however, that's likely due to Gen Con being in the summer.

One of the pics I forgot to post was this one, which are some of my former bio-terror models which have been converted with DE Talos pain engine parts. I gotta say that the parts fit on those kits amazingly well which is surprising as I'd released them way ahead of GW's plastic kits, just a very simular scale but pairs up great.

These aren't my personal models but somebody entered them in the painting contest, it's always cool to see kits I've produced out in the wild.

paulson games

Return to The Waiting Room