ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

bronze resin pitted finish

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

bronze resin pitted finish

Postby FineEdge » Tue May 29, 2012 12:49 am

Hi,

I have a joinery company and we have been experimenting with metal resins.

We want to create a pitted, not too dense, effect on the surface.

any ideas

Colin
FineEdge
Casual

Re: bronze resin pitted finish

Postby mangozac » Tue May 29, 2012 7:45 am

Hi Colin,

I wonder if you could drop the finished part into some acid so that any metal particles on the surface get eaten away? The effect would probably be too fine though. Probably the easiest option though is to make the pitting a part of the master part so that it's duplicated by the mould into any cast parts...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: bronze resin pitted finish

Postby johncast » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi FineEdge

Interested to read your post on the pitted finish you require . Depending on what shape the article is and the surface you want the pitted finish on , is it possible to coat the surface of the master pattern with a hardening putty , Millyputty comes to mind, Green stuff maybe possible.

Spread the clay in a even thin film over the surface you want pitted, and then with small sections of sand paper of different grit sizes just carefully and lightly impress the rough surface of the different grades of sand paper into the mouldable clay . Continue to do this untill you have the desired affect on the master pattern. If the putty is too sticky to start with wait for half an hour or so untill the putty sets a little and try again. With milly putty it will set rock hard on the master and be repoduced into the mould. Problems may arrise with the Millyputty coming away from the surface of the master when you demould . It may be necessary to make your first casting a master pattern .

I needed to create a textured sandstone effect on sections of a small war memorial model several years ago and used this tec to create the rough surface of the sandstone before I made the casting moulds. It worked very well.

Hope this helps
Johncast. www.orncastings.com
johncast
User

Return to The Waiting Room