[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - New Hobby Desk
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

New Hobby Desk

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

New Hobby Desk

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:17 am

As some of you know I've recently moved house and since this has been my first chance to actually have all of my own furniture and stuff I've taken the opportunity to actually go with some kind of decor/theme. I like the aged vintage beach and French industrial styles so I've been buying furniture to fit in with that. Some stuff though it's easier/cheaper to do yourself ;)

Since my hobby desk will again be in my bedroom (it's a one bedroom duplex) I decided that my existing hobby desk was just too "office furniture" looking. I didn't want to spend big money on a new desk though, so after looking around I came across an old used timber desk for $50. It's a lot smaller than my old desk but since it has 5 drawers I figure I'll be able to make more efficient use of the desktop space.

I got some paint mixed up and painted it "Calypso Blue". Then distressed it (which entails attacking the edges randomly with sandpaper). Then wiped on a dark grey-brown glaze to give the paint an aged appearance. The end result is great.

The top that the desk came with was just crappy laminate so I decided it had to go. I bought a sheet of laminated pine from the hardware with the intention of staining it an aged colour. But I found that I quite liked the juxtaposition of the aged blue and the new pine so I simply lacquered it as it was. Admittedly I made the top a bit wide for the base - I might yet cut a little bit off each end so it looks more appropriate.

The next trick is to sort out some drawer handles and then it will be properly finished, but in the meantime I couldn't help but get the desk set up. I was right about the usefulness of the drawer space! The wide single drawer on the right is fantastic for storing all of the various stock materials (styrene strip and tube, etc.).

Anyway enough yapping, here's a pic:

Hobby_desk.jpg

Next week on Homemaker Addict we'll be discussing crochet..... :P
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: New Hobby Desk

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Oh nice!!! DO Like it!!! :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Deadmeat30 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Looking good zac! Now you can get on with the centurion model ;) haha.

Settling in well in the batcholar pad?

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby awesomeshotdude » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Great looking table and handy work area mate :)
awesomeshotdude
Casual

Postby factor40 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:11 pm

Looking good, Zac. I love these pictures, we always take them when everything's neat and tidy. There ought to be a contest for messiest desk. :lol:

factor40
Habit

Postby Anvils Hammer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:03 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby ugeau » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:19 pm

I think that getting the perfect desk for you to be able to complete and accomplish you work is something that is really needed. The last thing that you would want to happen is that you are left without having the right set of tools and a proper area to work around with things.

And in as much as space is the primary thing to look after, it should be something that you still have to do and push with on your own.
ugeau
Casual

Return to The Waiting Room