[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - New Here, Hello!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

New Here, Hello!

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

New Here, Hello!

Postby Aeroman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:39 pm

Hello, hope all is well. I found this forum while looking for information on Smooth On resins. I like to reproduce vintage car parts (knobs, handles, radio buttons) using Smooth On's silicone molds and their urethane resins.

I am seeking information on color matching stuff using Smooth On's So Strong tints/pigments. I hope some of you have experience in this. I hope to learn a lot and share my work with you all! Here are some samples:

I am trying to color match the left one! Thanks
Aeroman
Casual

Re: New Here, Hello!

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:27 am

I've never tried matching resin colours but I guess it's much the same as matching paint colours. Unless you've got some fancy colour analysis equipment it might just come down to trial and error. You should be able to mix the different coloured pigments to get the required tone.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Hiflt4 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Color matchig is rough, mainly due to the amount of dye required being so little. I would start with the off white resin and try a touch of brown for the far left one. It may be diffacult to get the color consistantly without dyeing the bottle. so once you have the color close you may want to consider that.
Hiflt4
User

Postby Lane » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:28 pm

You can use a digital camera and photo editing software as a guide.

Take a photo of the reference part and the test part.
Use the color picker (eye dropper) to select the color and it should give you a RGB or CMYK composition.
Compare the readings for each part.
Adjust dye mix.
repeat.

Take care to measure carefully and take photo under same light conditions.
Lane
Habit

Postby ugeau » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Well hello there! I would like to drop by and welcome you to the forum though I am new here as well. It really is great to have a forum like this that would let people of the same interest be more versed and know more of the same things that they are taking interest with. Hopefully there could be some more of those to jump right in so that it would be a better community to participate with.
ugeau
Casual

Postby Aeroman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:36 am

Aeroman
Casual

Postby factor40 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:22 am

Welcome to Resin Addict! I'm looking forward to seeing some more examples of your work :)

factor40
Habit

Postby Lane » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:01 am

Lane
Habit

Return to The Waiting Room