[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Cleaning Molds
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Cleaning Molds

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Cleaning Molds

Postby Horner » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:23 am

If someone can direct me to where this may already have been discussed that would be awesome.

I just need some advise on the best way to clean the molds after use. I am getting solid results up until about 25 uses. Is there any best practices.

I have heard these and want to know if this is the best way to go.

Bake the mold at 150 in toaster oven but for how long?
Clean and soak in simple green?

How do you clean yours and what seems to prolong your molds the best?
Horner
Casual

Re: Cleaning Molds

Postby mangozac » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi Horner. Cleaning moulds hasn't really been discussed, but it sounds more like you're interested in mould rejuvenation, which has been discussed a couple of times:

Basically, the correct way advised by the manufacturers is to apply a coating of silicone oil to the mould and then bake it at a specific temperature. Alternatively find a silicone that is more harder wearing and will give you longer life!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Horner » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:28 pm

My issue is that a lot of my molds seem to be getting a layer of gunk (for lack of better word) on them. When I rub it seems to flake a bit as a white mess.

Could I be using too much mold release or not giving it enough time to soak in. Has anyone else had this issue before and know what causes it.
Horner
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Ahhh that sounds like the mould release.

I use a spray on wax based release and I find that it gradually builds up on the mating surfaces of the mould (i.e. not the cavities where the resin flows into). If I don't wipe if off with a cloth after every 5 or 6 casts the build up causes a lot of fine flash on the parts.

There should be an appropriate solvent for stripping the release agent - the manufacturer should be able to advise.

Although it just occurred to me - you are using release agent, right? If not then I have no idea what's going on!
mangozac

Postby Horner » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:43 am

Yes i use ease release before every cast. I am getting the build up in the actual mold areas though.
Horner
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 am

Oh ok that's interesting. Perhaps you're applying too much? Like I said though, to remove it you're probably best to ask Mann what the recommended solvent is...
mangozac

Return to The Waiting Room