[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Hey Guys
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Hey Guys

General discussion. Keep it fairly on topic. New members start here

Moderator: Wardens

Hey Guys

Postby Grizzly256 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Hello everyone, i am new to doing resin casting but wish to take it up so i can make my own interesting custom 40K bits.

Basicly i want to make my own resin copies of SM Sterguard and Vanguard veteran bits as well as a few suits of FW Horus Heresy armour pieces as i wish to add some varity to my SM squads.
Problem is, as i said, i am new to resin and while i have been doing some research, i need some proper guidance on making moulds and high quality casts

Thanks
Grizzly256
Casual

Re: Hey Guys

Postby Fleafa » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi Grizzly, and welcome.
If you are talking about cloning GW parts, we can't help you. It is, at best, a grey area and, at worst, straight up illegal.
If you are looking to cast your own custom sculpts, great! Have a look around here for a while; there's a lot of good information if you take a little time to look. Any questions, we'll try to answer as well as we can.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Grizzly256 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:43 am

I realise that cloning GW parts is illegal, pitty they charge so much for there models, i should have been specific, the parts are GW parts, but with my own Green stuff modifications on them, however they are not very good. Basicly i want to scan in the components using a Hi-def 3D scanner, then do modifications to the mesh, have them 3D printed by a 3rd party and use those as the master.

Where can i get a cheap 3D scanner?
Grizzly256
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:02 am

Not sure if trolling?

There's no such thing as a cheap 3D scanner, especially with the resolution this would require. You'd be better off designing the parts from scratch using 3D modelling software.

Neither 3D printing nor resin casting are cheap.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Grizzly256 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:56 pm

No i am not trolling, i am legit asking. I found one that may come close: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56 ... 3d-scanner. Either that or i find somewhere i can purchase the meshes.
Grizzly256
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:13 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Grizzly256 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Know anyone who does commission work?
Grizzly256
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:45 am

I'm sorry about the trolling comment - I guess to me the concept you were proposing was a bit ridiculous. That scanner has nowhere near the required resolution - see the scan of the electronic circuit board they have posted. To get the kind of precision you'd require will cost you as much as a decent car!

Why not just learn to 3D model the parts from scratch, taking careful measurements for reference like Fleafa said?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to The Waiting Room