[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Casting Hoses
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Casting Hoses

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Casting Hoses

Postby factor40 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:54 am

I've been trying to think of a good efficient way to cast hoses, something to connect to a gasmask. We are talking 28mm scale. I've considered a semi-rigid resin but I fear that may not be flexible enough. I have also heard mention of actually using silicone to cast with, in place of a resin.

My plan is to cast them with a thin wire in the middle to hold shape when it's bent. Any experience or ideas on how to achieve such a result?

factor40
Habit

Re: Casting Hoses

Postby mangozac » Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 am

Have you looked at flexible polyurethanes? I wouldn't use silicone, since it won't take any kind of paint or weathering.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby RageofAchilles » Thu May 29, 2014 8:16 am

I did some castings with latex mixed with an acrylic paint as a pigment some years ago.
On large items ,shrinkage is a problem but on little items like hosing it wouldn't be an issue. Helping the cure with baking the moulds on a low heat at 30-50 celcius would help things along.
Results will vary depending on how your silicon mould reacts to the latex, as it can sometimes stick to the mould a bit.

may be worth experimenting with as latex takes acrylic paint quite well. A thin wire can be inserted in the mould like a long staple with a bit of careful positioning.
I was casting solid latex pendants and sword pommels for larp.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby factor40 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:11 am

@RageofAchilles: The process you describe is too involved for the speed I work at but thank you.

I'll just do a wider search and see what I come up with. Updates as they happen.

-Steve

factor40
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Thu May 29, 2014 6:02 pm

I've been looking at flexible polyurethane. Zinge use something like that strengthened by wire for ammo belts etc.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu May 29, 2014 6:15 pm

I wonder how well the flexible PU takes paint? Obviously you don't want to flex it around too much once it's painted...
mangozac

Postby RageofAchilles » Fri May 30, 2014 5:43 am

I'm not sure exactly what your after, but I did some searching and found some 2mm rubber hose with a 1mm bore that you could thread a wire through. It isn't a ribbed hose though. £0.99p for 5metres!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Rubbe ... 2ec7ea6427

another option may be guitar strings, not sure of the diameter, but since they are wound wire , they might be usable with no tampering.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri May 30, 2014 7:50 am

Guitar strings are the worst to work with because they're too springy! Apparently you can temper (not sure if that's the correct term) them under a flame to take away the elasticity. Perhaps you'd just be better off doing a deal with Jeff from Dragon Forge to buy his in bulk. I have a bunch of them and they're invaluably handy!
mangozac

Postby Joey » Fri May 30, 2014 8:12 am

Guitar wires rock! (Pun not intended)
Heat them with a lighter until they glow, and all springiness is gone. Been doing this for 12 years, and still prefer them to Jeff's pewter cables (don't tell Jeff though!)
Joey
Casual

Postby johncast » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi Factor 40

If you require hoses for your models , depending on the size or diameter of the hoses required, I have often used lead tin solder wire of different dia to represent the hoses in a scale model.

The wire solder can be positioned in all manner of bent angles loops etc or laid onto the ground with no spring at all , once glued into place, a coat of paint just makes it look like hose.

johncast.
johncast
User

Postby michu556 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:02 am

Hey
If someone would look for tools to make cables or hoses. This confusion link. They also have a cool store a lot of heads in gas masks and other additives.
1:35 15mm 28mm scale

http://roleplayupkit.com/en/16-tools
michu556
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer